Pain Management Community
Spine Stimulator

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Spine Stimulator

I have been told that I am a candiate for a spine stimulator. I was to have a trial device done about a week ago, but my Dr's office messed up and didnt think prior auth was required, not only is it required but I also need to have a pysch eval prior to the trial being done. I am waiting to hear back on getting that scheduled. My question is first of all why the pysch eval and has anyone out there had this done and how helpful was it in relieve the nerve pain, After having 2 surgeries for L5-S1 area was just hoping for a little advice.

Thanks.
Hello bkrall and welcome to MedHelp's Pain Forum.

There are many things that can go wrong during the initial implant of the devise. The Medical Team want to make sure that you are prepared. I have found an excellent site for you to visit about why the Psyc visit is important. Please take some time and read about it.

Also, there are several other sites available if you Google " Psych before spinal implant"

Please take care and good luck.
Mollyrae

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us at MedHelp.

If you research our archives you will find many threads with information regarding the SCS.  Mollyrae has apparently found a site for the specific information you are seeking. I have not visited it so cannot comment on it's contents.

There are success and failure stories with the SCS implantation. I think the trial with answer many of your questions. Please let us know how you are doing. We will look forward to hearing from you again.

Peace,
Tuck
Hi..I have had a  spinal cord stimulator for almost a year. It's helped me alot. I have a chronic pain condition called reflex sympathetic dystrophy..in both hands.
My best advice is to find out from your dr. the company that is supplying the stimulator. There are a few. There are also different types of stimulators. Depending upon your needs. Please take your time to research this. The company can hook you up with a represenative who can ALONG WITH YOU DR..answer your questions. They also can give you support sites for people with and considering stimulators. Please let us know how you are doing...Tresa
I had the pysic evaluation done and they decided a was more than able to make the decission weather I wanted the stimulator or not. I ended up having a spinal fusion which has helped me greatly but I would do the trial on the stimulator if I get back in pain. Hope this helps a little

Brenda