Pain Management Community
Suboxone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Suboxone?

Does anyone know about Suboxone? And how good it is for withdrawling off of mscontins? As this is the route my Dr is thinking of taking.
You may want to post this in the substance abuse forum.  I know you will find people with good info to share with you there even tho this isn't a substance abuse problem.
Good luck to you!
I was in deep addiction to opiates and depression meds before 2008. In 2008 my dr prescribed 8 mg 4 X per day, which I am still taking. I am still clean praise God. I truly believe had I not started Suboxone I would not be here today, I was close to od several times before Suboxone. So yes, I would recommend it, but that's just my opinion.
So is suboxone a pain medicine?
At high enough dose it is, and not all pain dr's are in agreement with this idea. Well, I can tell you from first hand expierience that it is a pain medicine. We must remember that all medicine will not, and I repeat, will not have the same affect on the person standing right next to us. So you can't take one of your friends Suboxone pills, which is dangerous and illegal, and expect to have back pain relief. I am taking 8 mg 4 x a day(that's 32 mg). But it might not work for you, talk to your physician.
No I would never takes someone's else's meds, but I have a family member that takes that medicine to get off of pain meds, that he was addicted to. Did not know they prescribed it for pain.

I definitely expect him going the dr, and letting him prescribe it for you.. As far as using Suboxone as pain medicine there are only a few Drs  that are using Suboxone as a pain med.
Yeah they gave suboxone in rehab and he is still taking it 4 years later, and he doesn't have chronic pain, he was abusing pain meds just for the high.  We did not have any idea, until we got a call that he was going to rehab.
Hi thanks for the post NIB350! Can I ask you what type of meds you were on and the dose? Also are you going to quit taking the Subox.... Any time soon? As you said you have been on it for 4 years! That seems like a very long time to withdrawal from the opiates, just wondering as well, after I start the Subox...  How long I will have to be on it? And will I have to ween myself from this drug as well? And if so how bad are the withdrawals from the Suboxone? Also if I was on mscontin 100mgs 3 times a day what dose of Subox... Should I go on? and for how long? Just hoping and praying the withdrawals are not near as bad as trying to ween off the MSContins!
I should remind all that Suboxone cannot be dispensed by any Doctor. The Doctor who prescribes Subs is required by law that he/she attend classes for the distribution of the drug. This Certified Doctor cannot dispense to any more than 100 patients and these patients then go into a system that tells future Doctors that you are being prescribed Suboxone.

As far as Suboxone being a pain med.. well, that really is not the case. I have had chronic pain for many years and have learned to live without the opiate. The Suboxone does little for the relief of the pain. You do not get a euphoric feeling from it what so ever.

To be prescribed 4, 8mg strips per day is really unheard of. The absolute highest limit I have ever heard of is 3, 8mg strips. I have to question the Doctor prescribing that amount.

Just remember that this drug is also addictive and will require a tapper so that the withdrawls are not wicked. However in saying that, it has been a real help for me in continuing to stay away from opiates.

Good luck,
Mollyrae