Pain Management Community
Subutex for Chronic Back Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Subutex for Chronic Back Pain

Hello, I have had chronic back pain for over 10 years. Have taken full agonist opiates ( Pecocet (percocet) ) nothing
injected or snorted. I decided to get off the med and go to a Suboxone program. I went to two different ones
and they both not only judged me and labeled me, but also lied to me. I ask if they would put me on Subutex
which cost less and basically is the same thing. The doctor responded ,"we don't use that here. Five minutes
later ( they left my exam room door open, HIPPA violation), I overheard the P.A. telling a patient he would give
him Subutex. When I ask why they prescribed this after I was told they didn't, he just told me it was a special
emergency case. This place didn't even know they could call the Suboxone in and was making there patients
drive for an office visit to get there script.( More Money) Cutting to the chase, I could not afford almost 1000.00
per week for the program. I need to find a Doctor in Ohio that prescribes Subutex for Pain Management on a
monthy basis. Not one week at time. I have to control the pain to function at my job and with my family.
I don't understand the reluctance since Subutex is a partial antagonist, it controls my pain and lets me feel
like a normal as can be. I understand the medication is also something addictive. But, It works so much
better, more smoothly than percocet. No cloudy mind, no craving for percocet, can be called in, cost less
(suppose to become generic soon if not allready), and , gets my pain level down to a managable level. If anyone
can help me find an understanding Doc, that will actually see the whole picture and not only the fact that I have
to take percocet 6 times a day. I am trying to go the right direction and the docs dont' seem to see it. What
up with that?? I relly don't want to believe our health system and society could ever be that inhumane. Any
help will be greatly appreciated.   Thanks to all.   Calso
Sorry about all the problems you are having finding a dr. It is hard to find a good doctor so when people finally find one they never let go. I also live in Ohio and having trouble finding a dr.
I don't know anything about Subutex, it is something I will have to read up on. I know when people go to a pain dr and come right out and ask for a certain drug they look really bad at that. When they ask me what meds have worked for me I tell them what has controled my pain to the point I can live my life the best that I can and then stop at that and I also tell them what I have tried that DONT work. There has to be a dr out there that can help you.
Is Subutex the only drug that will help your pain? Have you tried anything other then that one and percocet? When you go to a dr the best thing to do is tell them what has worked for you and what hasn't. Do you have a family dr that will help you search for another pain dr?
Jamie
Good Evening Calso,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum! We want to let you know that we are glad that you found the Forum. You must understand that there are NO Doctors on this Forum just CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other with our experiences.

I'm sorry that you are having difficulty finding a Dr. You might try to find a program for withdrawal as that might be the place that you will find a Dr. that is licensed to give the Subutex. I don't know whether a regular PM Dr. gives Subutex or not. IF they do then you will need to get a referral thru your PCP.  

I'm so very sorry but we don't give any recommendations or names of PM Dr.'s here on MedHelp. However, you can google PM Dr.'s in Ohio and it should give you a LOT of names that you can contact.

We wish you the very best and hope that you will keep us updated on your progress....Sherry
Is Subutex the same as Suboxone?  I don't know much about either, just what I've read about Suboxone.  Have you actually tried the Subutex?

I've heard terrible things about getting off Suboxone; so it scares me a bit.  Same thing with methadone, which some people seem to have great luck with for pain.

I agree with Jamie that you have to tread very carefully when it comes to talking to doctors about specific meds.  I find they're like kids in a way ... best to beat around the bush and suggest.  I never specifically ask for a certain med, but I will say what I've had luck with and what I haven't.  I also told my NP about this forum and how much it's helped me.  At times I'll mention a drug I've read about here or a procedure and she's fine with that.

Seems like so many people have trouble finding the right pain doc.  I've been so fortunate with that.  Good luck with finding what you need.  (And I wish some of these pain docs could be in our shoes for a day or two; it might help them be better treating physicians when it comes to chronic pain.)
Hello Casio,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. However I am dreadfully sorry to hear about the difficultly you are experiencing obtaining Subutex.

The confusion here may be that Suboxone and Subutex are generally prescribed to treat addiction and not normally considered for pain management. Suboxone and Subutex are two drugs that have been approved by the FDA for the treatment of opiate addiction.

Both medications contain the main active ingredient Buprenorphine which stops the craving and withdrawal symptoms as well as it is a partial agonist. However Subutex does not contain an additional ingredient which is called Naloxone. This may be one of if not the primary reason they are reluctant to prescribe it over Suboxone. Naloxone is added to the the (suboxone) Buprenorphine (which makes it Subutex)  because it keeps people from abusing the medication. Suboxone is more widely prescribed, especially with a drug abuse history.

This forum does not recommend or suggest physicians not only is it not our purpose there are other obvious reasons. The physician that I prefer and find helpful in pain management, you may not find that way at all...and visa versa.  

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Take Care,
~Tuck