Pain Management Community
Sudden Simultaneous Ankle and Wrist Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hello. I have posted here before with success, so I am hoping to please get some information again from anybody who could possibly help.

I'm 30 ys old, male, 6'4" tall, about 280lbs. About 3 weeks ago, I woke up with moderate to severe pain in my left ankle in the front where it attaches to the foot. I went to the ER and they took an xray and didn't see anything wrong. I went to a podiatrist and she recommended this ankle brace to keep me from pivoting. I have been wearing it every day and my ankle pain in my left foot is down to a dull pain level. However, as of about a week ago my right foot started having identical pain (about two days before the pain started my right ankle seemed to be doing an unusual amount of cracking and popping in the front in the same area that my left ankle was having pain). About a day later, I started having the same popping and cracking in both wrists. If I rotate my wrists around I have cracking and popping in both wrists. Today I changed the brakes on my girlfriends car and both wrists hurt when I picked up the tires to put them back on the car. My wrists dont seem to hurt unless I put a load on them (pick something up that is reasonably heavy). So, needless to say, walking is a challenge and now its hurting to pick anything up. Oddly enough, about a week ago, I passed a kidney stone in my right kidney so back to the ER I went cuz I couldn't stand the pain. They did blood and urine tests and all my levels came back OK. They did mention I have a slight fatty liver... whatever that means. Since the blood tests were taken after the pain started and everything came back ok, I just don't know what to do here. I don't have any allergies, no diseases (that im aware of), urine has came back clean, blood is back as good. I just don't know. I'm 30 ys old.. could I really have arthritis at this age?? I called the podiatrist back and she wants me to come back in to see her again. I dont know what thats gonna do... any suggestions?  Thank you in advance...
There are over 100 different types of arthritis and most don't care what age you are.  You should really see a rheumatologist to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.
That's what I have been reading.  I just think its unbelievable that this could be arthritis at age 30... unreal.
Went back to the dr. had blood, urine tests, xrays. Nothing is wrong. Both my feet have pain in different spots... on the left foot the pain is in the top of the ankle on the big toe side, and about 2 inches behind the last three toes... on the right foot the pain is in the same spot on the ankle and on the outside of the foot. Both my wrists still hurt me every day. The ankles and wrists hurt every day, all day... the only time I get relief is when i wear my new balance shoes... but for the job I do, I MUST wear steel toe boots. When I do, the pain is so bad I can hardly walk. The dr. wants me to have an MRI but I don't have health insurance and I can't affford it right now. Anybody have any ideas? Will a rhumatologist want an mri as well? I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place here.. i may just have to go into debt. I dunno. Anyone else know?
If I were you, I would try to get to a rheumatologist.  When they tested your blood, did they test for autoimmunne diseases like RA?  Also, do you know if they tested for Lyme?
Maybe some others on here will have more/better advice for you.

Good luck and please post back.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan26.htm
syndesmosis?
I was just reading up on wrist and ankle pain for my husband. good luck
Update... never did find the cause of this problem... and I still suffer from it.... now I have these weird red spots on my elbow.... think it could be related to gout? Iv'e read gout sufferers have spots on their elbows, but they dont really look like what I have on my elbow... dunno... thanks to socialized medecine i have awhile to wait b4 i can see the doctor on this and get blood work... any thoughts?  Heres the link to the other question I posted...  

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/What-are-these-spots-on-my-elbow/show/1630027#post_7414512
My partner's had all the exact same symptoms as you - sudden onset of joint pain, weakness, spots, etc. Thankfully we had a great doctor who did a full barrage of tests and determined that it is indeed Gout. Thankfully it's relatively easy to treat once you know what do do and what to do differently.
My strange, red spots are on my ankle. Still have all the symptoms as yourself with no results as to what is the cause.