Pain Management Community
Sudden pain in fingers?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Sudden pain in fingers?

All of a sudden I got pain in my fingers. It is not in my hand, or wrist, or thumb. It is on the right side. I have pain when I bend or straighten fingers. Can do both, but painful. I have not hurt my hand in any way. (like falling) What could this be? Should I contact my doctor? What will help the pain? Any advise would be appreciated!!
Carpal tunnel syndrome might be something to look at.  Use your own common sense - if the pain continues or worsens, it's time to speak with a doc.
Good Morning.  It's ironic...the same thing happened to me suddenly a few weeks ago.  It has continued.  I DID go to my doctor and he said that there was inflammation in my fingers, technically my middle joints.  He said that it was the beginning of arthritis.  Could this be happening to you also?  Maybe...but it IS best to contact your doctor and make an appointment to see him/her.

I already take some pretty heavy medication for my chronic pain due to Multiple Sclerosis, but it has not touched the pain I have had in my fingers.  I decided to take an over the counter arthritis medicine, which has helped a little.  Soaking your hand in a warm water bath, may also be of some benefit.  Only your doctor knows for sure, what is causing your problem and what to do about it.

Keep us posted on how you are doing...

Best Wishes,
Heather3418  
Thank you for your comment! I have recently went to the Doctor. He has informed me that he believes it is the beginning stages of arthritis. He has prescibed me some mild pain medication which does seem to work. Although, I haven't taken any pills since yesterday morning, I have no pain today!!! I also have noticed that today is the first nice day her in quite a while, it has been cold, & raining. Maybe the warmer weather has something to do with it!! Thank You again!
I am SO glad to hear that you are getting some relief.  What did your doctor put you on, if you don't mind me asking?  Since it sounds like you and I are suffering from the same thing, maybe YOUR ADVICE can help me....

Hope you are feeling better, each and every day.

Best Wishes,
Heather
Hi.. I had that problem too before and when I had a check with my ob-gyne, I told about it toher. She advised me to go for a bone density test since pain almost all over me starts to bug me ( not only my hands or fingers ). Followed her advise and discovered that my bones are thinning ( osteoporosis ). Bone density test is done either from legs scan or right forefinger ( if ur right handed) which is easier thru a clip of machine ,attached to the said finger.
Younger people can be affected as well, esp. menopausal women. Even men suffer from it in their later age.
hi i would also like to find out if you found meds that helped you with that pain becouse it is 1 of the pains i have in my hands and i do not have arthritis i have 6 pinched nerves