Pain Management Community
Surgery on 3/10 allergic to morphine/dilaudid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I am having revision bariatric surgery and I am allergic to these two drugs. Which are the ones they put in the pain pump. The 3rd is demerol, the internist said that demerol had a recall and that they may not have any left? I haven't been able to find much out about this recall, other then a specific batch number.

The last time I was in this particular hospital, I was in alot of pain. The nurses had orders and they made it sound like nothing could be done to help with the pain. This was 2007. Their visiting hours are till 8, I wont have anyone to advocate for me. I am hoping to somehow, someway, smoke signals maybe, contact my surgeon prior to surgery. He said to just bring the list the day of the surgery. However, if he needs to order something, I don't want to be in agony.

I am wondering what other pain medications are out there. Also, this has to be taken via iv or liquid because I wont be able to chew for a few days.

Thanks!

Rose
Hello Rose:

Often in Hospitals, the Surgeons use a drug called Fentanyl. This is a powerful pain medication. In fact, it's 80x stronger than Morphine. I'm not sure that they can use it in a PCA pump (the pump that lets you regulate your own dose of pain medication). It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Other than that, I'm not familiar with anything else that they might use. Your Surgeon should know the answer to that. It sounds as if you really need to have a chat with him before your surgery. In my opinion, you should contact either your Doctor or the Hospital asap and make sure that things are ready to go and they do not put you in harms way.

My best,
Mollyrae