Pain Management Community
Switched from Norco 10-325 to Opana(synthic morphine)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

So my husband has been on a progressive pain pill diet for about 6 + years for his back (degenerative disc disease with nerve damage) He has been on Norco 10-325 for at least one year taking 4-6 a day occasionally more but usually sticking to 4. His doctor switched him to Opana  ER 10MG and gave him Opana IR 5MG incase of break through pain.  He took his first Opana ER on Jan12 about 6pm and has been regularly taking the Opana IR, my concern is that it has been 48 hours since he switched and he has been nauseated, and has the chills but no temp, and achy, could this be withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms from the Norco even though the doc started him on something else?
yes thats what it could be but i would look at side affects and make sure its ok to take both of the meds in a 48 hour period. they may not mix and make sure nothing else hes taking mixes badly with it. imhurt
Thanks, he has been using pills for so long, I know I worry about him being addicted and really have no idea what those signs are to watch for.

Hello Mary,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Mangement Forum.

Opana ER, an extended-release form of oxymorphone. It is more potent than Norco. I am the first to admit that I am not an expert in withdrawal or anything for that matter.

However it is my understanding that going to a higher or more potent opiate will mask any withdrawal symptoms from a lesser opiate.

His physician apparently wants him to take the Opana ER routinely and the Opana IR for break thought pain. This is not unusual. I would never add Norco back into the equation unless directed by his physician.

His symptoms could be his systems reaction to the Opana. Once his body adjusts the symptoms should subside. If he continues with the symptoms or they become more pronounced his physician should be notified.

I would think that the Substance Abuse Forum has more accurate information on this subject. No I don't think for a minute that your husband has a abuse issue. The SA Forum will just have better information.

Additionally there is a huge difference between true addiction and our bodies dependancy on needed and properly used narcotics. It is possible to become an addict even though you require opiates for pain control but the numbers are small. Addiction shows itself through drug seeking behavior and misuse of their opiates.They run out of their prescription early and often. If those are not issues with your husband, relax. He's experiencing chronic pain. The signs of addiction are hard to hide from an involved spouse. It happens I'm sure as addicts are skilled at deceit and become crafty. But the tell tale signs are quickly apparent to those that love them and know them.

Best of luck to you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you and your husband is doing. I'll look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck
I was on MS Contin at one time which ids the same as Opana ext.rls. It took me about a week to feel normal again. I was very tired and out of it.