Pain Management Community
Swollen Lump - Xiphoid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Swollen Lump - Xiphoid

Went to my Dr about a swollen lump.  He barley touched it and said you have a swollen xiphoid?  Just put ice on it should go away.   He asked if I had  pain or breathing problems.  Which Ii told him I always have pain.  I just live with it.  I have herinated dics in neck high and low back.  

I looked this up when I got home and I am wondering should he have done some test to confirm this diagnosis?   A couple times in the last month, I have had food seem to get stuck going down, close the same place where it is swollen.  

He didn't ask this and I didn't relate them until I looked this up and it is close to the stomach and diaphragm.     Should I just do nothing like he suggested or ask him to do more test?
Hi Mag,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post.

The xiphoid process, as you probably know is also known as the xiphisternum. It is a small cartilaginous extension to the lower part of the sternum. Your physician was able to tell you what it was simply by location and a slight touch.

What is causing the swelling is what you want to know? If you've done some searching you know that the inflammation is most likely caused by a form of Costrochondritis..... Unless you can attribute it to an injury.

Gastrointestinal issues can irritate the Xiphoid Process. Poor posture, not sitting upright can also place pressure on this Process and cause it to swell or become inflamed.  

If your swollen Xiphoid Process is responsible for the difficultly you experience swallowing or an underlying Gastro problem can only be determined by a Physician. It bears some investigation. If I was concerned I would return to my PCP for testing. You may want to request a Gastrointestional consult. Be assertive if this is causing your worry.

You may want to post of MedHelp's Forums that are nore related to this issue such as the Gastrointestional Forum.  

Here's also a link to a Physican's response regarding similar symptoms on MedHelp's Undiagnosed Symptoms Forum:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Undiagnosed-Symptoms/xiphoid-process-swelling--pain-and-discomfort/show/1169360

I hope this has been helpful. Please let us know how you are doing. I'll look forward to your updates.

Take Care and Good Luck,
~Tuck
Thanks for this info.  I just underwent an endoscopy to rule out stomach problems. Post test & after a quick exam, my gastro doc informed me that there is inflammation in the xiphoid process. As I never heard of this I appreciate the questions/answers offered here.  Thanks.
I had my gallbladder removed in December and for 3 months afterwards I felt as though I had tape wrapped around my ribs under my breasts.  A month ago this feeling returned along with intermittent & noticeable swelling of the cartilage.  
Do you think the gall bladder surgery can cause this condition (inflammation)?
Does it make sense that I feel full from eating faster than usual?  I am quite thin & boney but I am good, big eater and I cannot seem to tolerate big meals.
Your comment about posture was informative and I believe postural changes will alleviate some of the discomfort.
Thank you.
Sue