Pain Management Community
Temple spasms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Temple spasms

I have recently posted a question about strange headaches, but I think I have a better way of explaining what I am going though...
I have recently been getting spasms in my left temple along with some slight pain, especially when I rest my head on my pillow.
This has all come after having sinus headaches, ear pressure/fullness, facial pain etc.
But after all of this I am wondering whether its because I clench my teeth? I find myself doing it throughout the day, especially when I am concerntrating on something. I dont mean to do it, I just do. God knows how much I must do it during the night!!
Does anyone else experience temple pain/spasms? After researching on the internet I hear over and over again about TMJ? Any help would be much appreciated. Zoe
Hello Zoe,

Thank you for adding more of an explanation. It's helpful.

It makes sense that the clenching of your teeth could cause or at least contribute to your strange headaches/temple spasms and pain. It is a statistical fact that this behavior can cause headaches. There is an actual condition called Clenching Syndrome it seems to be interchangeable with TMJ Syndrome.

There are theories as to why ppl clench their teeth. You may want to explore this with your dentist.

There are devices that can be worn in your mouth to assist you in breaking the habit of clenching. Your dentist should be able to prescribe a night guard. It is usually worn during the night. If he can't he should be able to refer you to someone that can. If you haven't consulted with him I certainly would do so.

There are some ppl that find just chewing sugarless gum can also help with the clenching. When not actually chewing it can remain in your mouth as a reminder not to clench.

I don't have this problem. Hopefully one of our members will have additional information for you. What I do know is how very challenging pain can be. I am so sorry that you have this painful condition. Have you seen your PCP? What does he/she have to offer.
At the least I hope you he/she has provided you with something to treat your painful symptoms.

Please let us know how you are doing. If you have additional questions or comments please feel free to post them. I will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Thank you for your response. Since my post I have been to the dentist, who done an xray of my mouth, my wisdom teeth are not coming through, so she has ruled that out for the pain, I need to go back next week for a spint. But since my last post the pain and the clenching has stopped completely, and so has the headaches that I have been experiencing. Thats why I have not replied sooner.

But last night I started clenching again, and I have realised it is when I am stressed or upset. I started clenching after a row with my boyfriend, but when we made up this morning, the clenching has stopped.

The splint will still come in handy, for when I am stressed haha. I'll post again when I have given it a try.
Thank you so much for the update. So often we never hear from the poster again. I really appreciated you taking to time to inform us.

Great insight into the stress induced clenching. Anxiety and stress can induce physical symptoms. We often don't associate the mind, body connection. Now that you have found the trigger you will allow you more success with treatment options.

I'll look forward to hearing from you again.

My Best,
~Tuck