Pain Management Community
Terrible spasms in calf

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Terrible spasms in calf

Good Evening.

I am 27 years old and earlier today, I started getting sudden muscle cramp-like spasms in my calf.  It is only on my left calf and is behind the knee and down the outside to middle of the calf.  Feeling the calf when this pain happens, i cannot feel the muscles tensing or contracting.  The best way i can describe the pain is almost like a funny bone pain, but in my calf.  The spasms (or whatever they are) are so intense, i cry out in pain.

I tried heat and ice and both had no effect.  It doesn't matter what position I am in.  I did not injure myself recently either.

I'm not sure if this is something serious or if it will probably go away.

I would appreciate a speedy response.
Hi Sarah,

I am glad you found us on the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. I am sorry to hear about your sudden urgent pain.

If it originates behind the knee it could be patella (knee cap) related. If the calf is warm or reddened it could be a thrombophletis or a phlebitis. Those are just several conditions that some to mind. If you pain is so severe that it makes you cry out it warrants a trip to urgent care for evaluation. It is never wise to let acute and severe sudden pain go undiagnosed.

Best of luck to you. Please keep in touch. I will look forward to your updates. Take Care, Tuck
I deal with common calf cramping and hamstring cramping every day with my client at the fitness gym I work in. Two things: you are either dehydrated or have a sodium/potassium inbalance which will be low potassium and high sodium. Sodium is very hard to deplete from the body and yet potassium is depleted extremely easily. We need much more potassium so start eating starchy fruits ie. bananas, cantaloupe, papaya etc. and many vegetables ie. potatoes, spinach etc. using the salt substitute "no salt" is the easiest way to add potassium to the body in large amounts.

The cramping could be a combination of both so when it happens eat 1 or 2 bananas and drink lots of water.

Some other causes are dieretic medications which can naturally deplete the body of potassium and dehydrate the body.