Toe and foot numbness from L5/S1 herniated disk
Is there anything I can do to manage the numbness in my feet? Or for that matter managing the numbness anywhere?  I am assuming not.  

Recently I found out I have a herniated disk in the L5/S1.  I bent down to pick something up the other day, and after two months of feeling better my waste felt like it was jelly and I just about fell over from the pain. That part has pretty much subsided now, more quickly then it had before, which is odd. But I started having big toe numbness about 2 days prior to this, and I still have it now, it has been about 6 days. I had an acupuncture treatment today which helped for about 4-5 hours.  

My numbness is slowly spreading throughout my foot and it is especially noticeable when I lie down. Walking and standing are better then sitting or lying.

I take Solaxin 200mg and Naposin 250mg, once a day, they want me to take it three, but I do not think I need so much, I take it during my busy times of the day only.  I dont have much pain my back, it is tolerable, but the numbness really worries me as I do not want to have surgery.  The strength in my toes are fine so far. Both are equal.

Any suggestions?
I take Lyrica. However my nerve issues sound a bit different. The Lyrica helped change the burning, electricy-like, bugs crawling feeling to numby. I will take numb over pain any day. I would love to feel my middle 3 toes again without that going to sleep feeling, but it is better than me wanting to whack them off! But you may want to try Lyrica. It really helps and to me, has NO side effects.
You apparently have not read the literature that came with your Lyrica.  Here is the "short list" **FROM THE MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE** of potential SIDE EFFECTS and WARNINGS:  LYRICA is not for everyone. LYRICA may cause serious, even life threatening, allergic reactions. Stop taking LYRICA and call your doctor right away if you have any signs of a serious allergic reaction. Some signs are swelling of your face, mouth, lips, gums, tongue, throat or neck or if you have any trouble breathing, or have a rash, hives or blisters.
Thank you Angel, I will look into that drug.  Though typically as I know there is no medication for numbness.  My numbness is tingly and throbbing sensations, and if I run my toe across a floor or something it is a really different feeling than the other side.

What I have been told is that numbness is worse than pain because continued numbness will cause a complete lack of feeling and sensation permanently if it is continuous. This is what worries me.
Oh yeah, I am sure. It can only stay that way for so long before your whole perception of feeling is different. Numbness does suck, I know. For me, I am not as much numb as on the edge of falling asleep. That is what the feeling is like for me. Past the prickles and close to numb but not quite there yet. Paresthesias is how my doc describes it.
I have a herniated disc L5-SI - it is protruding on the left side and i have nerve damage in my left leg mostly in the sciatia nerve.  I also have numbness of the right leg, not the nerve numbness but the entire leg goes numb like it is falling asleep. also my herniated disc has calcium deposits around the disc and there may also be scarring there -  i am in extreme pain constantly and take lortab for the pain.  i have had shots in my back and physical therapy - all of which did no good.  i am waiting to see a specialist and have been told by my primary care doctor that i may have to have surgery.  i am hoping i am not too late for this.

do check with your doctor to see what meds you can take and what treatments will help.  mine has been going on since june of last year.  once i see the specialist i am hoping they will revisit lyrica with my insurance as they originally declined it as it is experimental to be given to people with back pain - it's normally given to people that have diabeties and have leg pain - good luck and keep talking to your doctor or others in similar situations.  i went too long before i started seeking treatments.  the numbness i can deal with - the pain i cannot - take care
I tried Lyrica a couple of days. right knee down is numb, my feet burn and look totally sunburned after standing.  The instructions state not to take with muscle relaxants or anxiety meds.  It also stated it could cause weight gain.  It could have helped, however, you have to weigh which hurts worse, the back or the feet?  It also made me more lupey, my dr says anything for nervepain will effect the big nerve in the brain.  I couldn't stop taking soma and the anxiety med I have to take because the vicodin makes me stressed.  So all that thought out, I stopped,  there was a vanity issue regarding possible weight gain
Try laser surgery...contact Dayton Laser Spine Institute in Dayton OH.  My husband recently had this procedure, he was in a car accident.  He seems to be on the mend and feeling pretty good.  He had numbness in his leg also.
I had a mild stroke in 1998.  I got to the hospital in time and Ionly suffered mild dammage to the left leg and foot.  I had this, just hit my funny bone feeling , in the left leg and foot.  Doctors said there was nothing to treat this.  Now 10 years later the feeling is geting intolerable.  Can anyone suggest any meds or procedure .  I have taken Vicodin, tramadol, and a variety of seisure medications which did absolutely nothing.  HELP.
I have shooting pain down my right leg. It lasted about 3 days or so of really bad pain. I started to take some Ibuprofren to help. So for the past week the backside of my leg, from my buttocks down to the backside of my knee, and calf has been numb.

I'm currently walking with a little bit of a limp, nothing too bad. I realized I couldn't flex my calf muscle in my right leg. Upon further investigation on this I realized I was unable to stand tip toes on my right leg. Left leg is fine and doesnt seem to have any problems, but my right leg is still numb and I cant stand on my tip toes (which explains my limp). PLEASE HELP!!!

I have been taking a herb call Valerian Root which will calm the nerves in the legs and feet. hope this will help.
I also suggest Lyrica. I take it as well for my neuropathy from diabetes and it helps alot!
from time to time my big toe on the left foot tends to get a little numb, I've noticed here lately my foot will swell, but I have been traveling quite a bit, therefore I've just associated the swelling with the traveling.  Like right now out of nowhere my big toe is numb somehwat.  Are you saying that this is associated with maybe a herniated disk?
Iwas told they could not give y anything for numbness Iwill try that herb. It doesnot afect meds does it thanks from dorothy.
If you want to save $ try Neurontin first, gabopentin. Lyrica is very new/$$ but same class of drug. Epileptics use it and I think it mainly slows down nerve transmission. More for sciatica than numbness, restless leg, etc. I do think though you have to give it several weeks to work and for side effects, for eg. sleepiness, to go away. I cant get thru a 5 minute shower or making toast on my feet with out my toes and leg going numb. As long as I keep moving I am manageable. Valerian root is for anxiety but may work, it never did a thing for me but we are all different. Good luck.
DH
looked into gravity tables?

I have moderate degeneration of L5/S1 vertebral disc. I bought a cheap alternative called gravity boots and have a frame I can use my arms to pull myself onto to hang upside down thus saving the extra pressure of doing an upside down sit-up. This may however in your case do as much harm as good.

However a gravity table is a better alternative. You lie on this table and raise your arms and it tilts you upside down, this places you in a cheap alternative form of traction and although my pain is possibly not as bad as yours (though it did herniate causing me to collapse once) it is excrutiating sometimes. Sometimes I find my gravity boots helps release the pressure on the trapped sciatic nerve that is associated with all the other symptoms.

I'm poor so I had to improvise but if you have a hundred notes or so to spare you may be able to get a table, this is a very easy and far more pleasant alternative and I'd reckon as little as 10 or 15 mins a day may help a lot. You may only need it when it's really bad!

Forgot to mention, actually may take as little as a few mins on the table before relieve of sciatic symptoms reside. Simply lift arms, swing upside down stay for a few minutes you may even feel physical movement of the spine, sometimes it feels great. Then lay flat on floor for 15 mins or so and I find all the weird niggles disappear.

I too suffer nowadays from a range of complaints. Pins and needles in feet (like prickly heat), hip and pelvis pain, numbness like loss of feeling in thighs, occasional aches and pains in ankles and knees. I found these boots helped slightly, however due to the stress of
simply using them on a bar I had to find some sort of frame to bring myself up without popping my back further and undoing the beneficial effects. The more expensive table sounds like a vast improvement I am even considering saving what little cash I can get and buying one for myself.

Even it hardly is ever used and for only a few minutes just when it's really bad my back gets to the stage if I don't do these srt of things its worse definitely. Also if you are at that stage where you are considering surgery ask about IDET. Sounds promising in some cases.

Good luck n all, I know it can be hell on earth.
What happens in the long term? I'll explain some details. About two years ago I feel of the roof. I ended up with a disc rupture in the l5/s1. All the standard stuff. Pain so you almost cannot breath. My surgeon removed 5cm of material from the rupture and that helped stops some of the pains. Its been going on two years and still the pain in crazy. I could draw a line down my back to my toes in amazing detail following the nerve path. I have been through all the standard treatments. injections, acupuncture, pt, meds.

So my question. How do you live with this? Is taking hard core meds my only option to get through the day? I'm 37 with two children, and wonderful wife and great career. What do others do?
I suffer from a herniated disk L1 S5. I was doing physical therapy which seemed to be working, but after several weeks my pain in the back of my thigh kept coming back.  My orthopedic DR. suggested cortisone injections to be relived of the pain for good. I decided to have the injections which he described as routine procedure, at the beginning of the procedure the Dr, inserted the needle and hit a nerve causing a sharp pain down my leg. Two days later I developed numbness in my foot and can not walk normal. I called my Dr. and they told me it was normal should go away in a couple of weeks,  I called after the two weeks were up still having the same symptoms. Now he suggested surgery as the only way to fix my back.  
I do not want surgery and was wondering if anyone has any other option that worked?

Also, I was wondering if the Dr. who hit the nerve could have caused pernamate damage?  

I'm so sorry for all your pain problems...I too have nerve pain that runs from the lower back through the buttocks and down the legs, it can be excruciating at times I agree....I'm on a medication called gabapentin(neurontin) its an anti seizure medication, it doesn't stop the total pain but it does do wonders, have you tried any of these such medications?

Thanks for responding. I taken mussel relaxers and anti inflammatory meds, they didn't seem to work. Now I'm taking Lyrica (for nerve damage) for two days now, but no relief. I don’t think any drug will help at this point.
Dan  
Lryica is in the same category of medications as gabapentin, some get relief and some don't but its sure worth a try for you!!
2 days isn't long enough to evaluate this med usually takes 3 weeks to feel the full effect, so don't give up hope..wishing you success!