Pain Management Community
Top of my elbow feel like a knife is in it

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

This has been going on for about 4 months. I did not bang it on anything but it feels like the bone, only on the top of my arm, has a red hot knife in it. The constant pain area is about a half inch in size and it is mostly just right under the skin. If you feel your arm in the elboy area there are three bumps. A small one, big one, then another small, mine is the first bump. At times it hurts more than others but it constantly pains me. It hurts to touch it and it really hurts to pick almost anything up. The pain is tollerable most of the time but it seems to be getting worse.
Everyone keeps telling me to have an exray done but they don't seem to understand, I don't have insurance, and I cannot afford to seek professional help at all.

Do you have any ideas what is wrong with my elbow and what I can do for the pain?
Hi!
Pain at the elbow can be due to Tennis elbow, Golfer’s elbow, cubital tunnel syndrome, bursitis or tendonitis. The location of the pain is a useful guide if you cannot afford expensive tests like MRI. In Tennis elbow the pain is on the outer side of arm, and radiates to lateral side of fore arm. Twisting the wrist as in pushing in a screw driver can intensify the pain. Treatment is by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, application or heat or ice and wearing elbow braces. In Golfer’s elbow, the tendon attaching the flexor muscles of thumbs and fingers (as in making a fist or holding something) is inflamed at the elbow, where it attaches to the upper arm bone or humerus. This causes pain on forming a fist. Treatment is by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, application or heat or ice and wearing elbow braces. In cubital tunnel syndrome, the ulnar nerve is compressed at the elbow. This causes numbness of pinky finger and that side of ring finger along with pain on the inner side of forearm. Treatment is usually through physiotherapy. Try and consult a  doctor and get yourself examined. Meanwhile depending on the type of pain, you can try the treatment options I have mentioned. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thanks for the response. From what you said, my problem sounds closest to Tennis Elbow. I will try an OCD anti-inflammatory. What do you suggest and how much per day. I am not allergic to anything nor have any reactions to Ibuprophen (I think thats an anti-inflammatory) except water retention. If there is something out there that is better and wont cause the w.r. that would be nice.