Torn pectoral muscle.
Hi, I think i have got torn pectoral muscle. the pain came about 24hrs after weight training. My right pectoral muscle under my nipple, i have an sharp stapping pain that gets worse upon inhailing. There is no bruising.
When i first had this pain a week ago i went to a GP who sent me to the hospital for an x-ray. At the time doctors and myself thought it was pneumothorax. Nothing showed up in the xray. after the long wait for the x-ray the pain had gone to a bearable level, and was gone later on that night. The doctor concluded that i most likley hurt myself wieght lifting.
1 week later and the pain came back much worse this time, again about 24 hours after training.
What can i do for the pain, also when would i be able to workout this muscle without risking any damage. 21 y/o male.

Thanks.
Hi Unknownpatient,

I am sorry to hear that you have sustained such a painful injury. A stain/sprain can be very slow and difficult to heal.... even often more so then a fracture. I am concerned regarding the return of the pain when it was so much better. Did you return to your weight-lifting too early? It sure sounds as if you did allow the injury time to heal.

I would consult your physician regarding pain control. If you aren't on an effective NSAID and maybe a muscle relaxer to ease your pain I would discuss this option with your PCP. The usual ice/heat rotation could also be beneficial. Sometimes wrapping the area can help but that has to be ordered and at least initially applied by a medical professional.

You may find PT effective down the road.... again after the injury has had some time to begin healing. If you have no improvement in a week you may require more detailed imaging to determine the exact injury.

I am not a physician and far from an expert... that said I would not consider returning to weight lifting until you are relatively pain free. Again this is a question for your PCP.    

I hope this has been helpful and I encourage you to consult your PCP. Please let us know how you are doing. I will be interested to hear your updates.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck