Pain Management Community
Torn pectoral muscle.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Torn pectoral muscle.

Hi, I think i have got torn pectoral muscle. the pain came about 24hrs after weight training. My right pectoral muscle under my nipple, i have an sharp stapping pain that gets worse upon inhailing. There is no bruising.
When i first had this pain a week ago i went to a GP who sent me to the hospital for an x-ray. At the time doctors and myself thought it was pneumothorax. Nothing showed up in the xray. after the long wait for the x-ray the pain had gone to a bearable level, and was gone later on that night. The doctor concluded that i most likley hurt myself wieght lifting.
1 week later and the pain came back much worse this time, again about 24 hours after training.
What can i do for the pain, also when would i be able to workout this muscle without risking any damage. 21 y/o male.

Thanks.
Hi Unknownpatient,

I am sorry to hear that you have sustained such a painful injury. A stain/sprain can be very slow and difficult to heal.... even often more so then a fracture. I am concerned regarding the return of the pain when it was so much better. Did you return to your weight-lifting too early? It sure sounds as if you did allow the injury time to heal.

I would consult your physician regarding pain control. If you aren't on an effective NSAID and maybe a muscle relaxer to ease your pain I would discuss this option with your PCP. The usual ice/heat rotation could also be beneficial. Sometimes wrapping the area can help but that has to be ordered and at least initially applied by a medical professional.

You may find PT effective down the road.... again after the injury has had some time to begin healing. If you have no improvement in a week you may require more detailed imaging to determine the exact injury.

I am not a physician and far from an expert... that said I would not consider returning to weight lifting until you are relatively pain free. Again this is a question for your PCP.    

I hope this has been helpful and I encourage you to consult your PCP. Please let us know how you are doing. I will be interested to hear your updates.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck