Tramadol and Ultram
Are these the same drugs just one does not have the tylenol???
If so, why can you only take Tramadol for a short period of time? I was just switched from Tramadol to Ultram. Not sure if I should start this script or just stick with the current Tramadol. I used to be on vicodent and did ok, however after surgery they gave me percocet and had pounding heart, chest heaviness and my 1st anxiety attack. These drugs are scary but cannot use anything with asprin as my ears ring and I get uclers. Any advice?
Ultram is the generic name for Tramadol. I just looked in my mediciene cabinet and founs my husbands prescribtion and it's just a generic name same drug.
oh, I thought one was ultracet and one was ultram. I have both bottles here, one pill is red and the new pills are small round white ones. Tryed looking it up, it seems to be the same just one does not have the tylenol, but I am not really sure.
thank you. Mickey
Tammer76 is correct.
ULTRAM is a brand name for Tramadol.
Same exact drug.

Thanks.  Just curious, are you a doctor?
No.
Hi, I have been taking Ultram (Tramadol) since 1997.  Tramadol is just the generic form and if you are paying for it, it is much much cheaper.  I have had both and there really is no differenece.  Don't fooled by what people say that name brands are better.  Many times there is no difference.  I have had no ill effects from taking tramadol.  No kidney, no liver concerns at all.  When you take the tramadol make sure that you eat something substantial that will coat your stomach.  This medicine can cause you to feel sick to your stomach.  Don't take on an empty stomach.  Tramadol is a non-narcotic medication that works like a narcotic.  If you will be taking it on a regular basis for pain management (like I do) don't just stop - level off.  Even though it is not a narcotic you will go through some withdrawal from it if you just stop taking it.  Frankly, I think that it is a great alternative to narcotics.  Even after 10 years, it still provides pain relief to me without having to increase the dose.  Good luck.  If you have any other questions, feel free to post.  
I have been taking tramadol for 9 months for a double fractured femur and it is non-narcotic but works like one.  Like they said Ultram is the other name for it.  Just remember Tramadol causes INSOMNIA.  Bad insomnia.  I have to take trazadone just to be able to sleep.  Good luck to you.
I also take trazadone and have for the same amount of time I have taken the tramadol.  If your doctor prescribes trazadone be aware that as you start taking it, it may cause you to have the feeling that you need to stretch your legs - kind of like restless leg syndrome.  Don't stop taking the trazadone because of it.  The symptom will go away. Also, don't take the trazadone until you are completely ready to go to sleep.  It usually takes about 20 minutes for it to work.  Trazadone helps the muscles in your body to go into REM stage which is important for them maintain flexibility.  It is also an anti-depressant.  Good Luck.
Thank you all for the advice. Medicine seems to be working ok for me, but my throat seems to be always inflamed, even my tongue - it doesn't hurt, but it's always red and swollen. I'm waiting on an MRI for my shoulder, maybe they will find out why my arm shakes when I try to lift it - I think Physical Therapy screwed it up, it better not be torn again, I refused to go in for a 4th surgery. I really want to go back to work, staying home with this ******** stinks, I've had enough of drugs, surgeries and doctors, it's time to get on with my life and it doesn't include this ****.
Anyway, thanks again, am going to try and convice Dr. on Monday to give me a note to return to work.
Be carefull of this drug (ultram). It can be harder to get off than a true narcotic because of the way if affects brain chemistry. all best
ultam is tramodol same thing now there is ultracet which is tramodol ultram with tylonol
I ran into this page researching this drug for insomnia aide effects. Took it at 11:30, layed down at midnight. It's 4am and i'm still awake.. Learned my lesson here, i have 4 kids, two of them under 2.  Gonna be a long day tomorrow!
I ran into this page researching this drug for insomnia side effects. Took it at 11:30, layed down at midnight. It's 4am and i'm still awake.. Learned my lesson here, i have 4 kids, two of them under 2.  Gonna be a long day tomorrow!
I haven't read any of the other responses, so forgive me if this is a repeat of what someone else has already said.

Ultram and tramadol are both the same drug.  Ultram is a brand name, and tramadol is the name of the drug itself.  The product with tramadol and tylenol in it is called Ultracet.  

Ghilly
Tramadol (Ultram) causes me insomnia.  My REM sleep is affected.  I've had to take it for years because of a spinal problem.  I'm told only 3% of people have this.  It is a good drug for mild to moderate pain.  A way to help with the sleeplessness is to take another drug with it.  Some take a melatonin substance.  I take a cap of Ibuprofen PM or Tylenol PM.  The Benadryl or whatever drug that is in those OTC's solves the sleeplessness.
old post? The hourglass tells me this (it's at the top of the original post). Just for everyone's info.
                      shinty
I am taking tramadol for shoulder injury and it is causing major insomnia!!!  Need to switch to something else..