Tramadol reactions
I am extremely allergic to anti-inflammatory drugs. I am in excruciating pain  and am to have both knees replaced. I have never been addicted to any drugs.. But yet wont prescribe Darvocet which I have only taken for 3 months a low dose. Now I'm switched to Tramador, and am very concerned of a reaction from it. Even the most distance of Anti Inflammatory s give me hives and I swell up in the face  face tongue  throat. I did question my Dr about the meds and my worries and if I can just stay on what I was, but was told to take the new meds and see what happens. I said I would in a controlled environment.He said  I  would not be givin anything else until I tried  the new med.. And a controlled environment wasn't needed. Is it or is this drug any risk of being in the same family of drugs.So for now I'm in so much pain I cry.
Tramadol is not in the same class as anti inflammatories. I am too allergic to them but can take tramadol. I would try it and make sure someone is with you so if you do have a bad reaction they can take you to the ER.
Tramadol is a pain medication and it may help your pain. It is not a strong one but it will help better than nothing at all and if you go ahead and try it and it doesn't work you can tell the doctor this and get something different.
tramadol is stronger than darvocet and as sandee says it is completely unrelated to any anti-inflammitories

nick
Hello Shawnee,

Tramadol does work well for some ppl. It is a man-made analgesic. Its exact mechanism of action is unknown but it is similar morphine. Like morphine, tramadol binds to opioid receptors in the brain that are important for transmitting the sensation of pain. It is NOT and NSAID.

I have many, many allergies, including drug allergies and sensitivities. I have made numerous trips to ER with a reaction. I keep benadryl on hand when trying new medications or when I have a reaction to environmental substances. I am concerned when I take something new. The benadryl helps ease that concern. If I am reacting I swallow the benadryl and decide if that will handle it or if it has just bought me some time to get myself to ER. Unless contraindicated you may want to consider keeping some benadryl in the house.

Good luck to you and as always, Take Care, Tuck  
my urine test had none of the pain meds the give me 3 months in a row. now i am under review. will they cut me off?