Pain Management Community
Treatment for Intercostals Muscle Pain????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I am pretty sure that I have strained my Intercostals Muscle in my right side from golfing. I have read that many golfers, tennis players and weight lifters suffer from this kind of injury. The pain is right underneath my right peck and shoots into my back. It happened about a week and a half ago when I felt pain in that area during one of my golf swings.

At first the pain was minimal, but it gradually got worse over a few days and to the point where it hurts to breathe deeply, sneeze and cough. The morning is the worst for me as the pain seems to be more intense after sleeping. Why is that? I am also in pain from certain movements.

I been using ice packs, taking Advil and using the icy hot patches but it does not seem to help with the pain much. I called my PCP today for a prescription for Ibuprofen. I am hoping a stronger dose of ibuprofen will help with the pain and healing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had this kind of injury?
You're doing everything right, but may be neglecting one important thing:  rest!  Have you been on the golf course or engaged in other injury-aggravating activity since the original injury occured?  

Soft tissue injuries can and do hurt worse in the morning.  It's just due to everything stiffening up overnight.  It's been long enough since the injury that ice alone won't do much good.  Try 15 minutes with a heating pad first thing in the morning to get the circulation going and loosen up the muscles.  Increased circulation helps to speed healing by increasing oxygen levels to the injured area.  As you begin to be more active and get back on the golf course, use heat to warm up and ice afterward to control inflammation.  No more than 15 minutes for either heat or ice therapy.

Talk to your doctor about possible physical therapy and recommendations for rest and activity levels.  I know it's not easy for an active person to rest, but it's very important if you don't want to risk further injury and possibly being sidelined from the course altogether.  Please post back and let us know what your doc recommends.  :-)

Heel Johnny,

It may be a little difficult to follow the golden rule for injuries RICE, Rest Ice, Compression and Elevation, given the location of your injury/strain. However as Jaybay states it does seem that you have neglected the big one, Rest.

I find that soft tissues injuries are also very painful at the end of the day. I think much depends on the location of the injury and the severity of it. You should consult with your PCP as how best to treat it.

My concern is that the pain is increasing. When you injury the rib area it cannot get the type of rest we might give another portion of our body as we need to breath!  

Are you certain of your self-diagnosis? Repetitive injuries usually heal withing a few weeks. Your symptoms should not be worsening. I'd give the perscription strength of ibuprofen a few days and if you are not noticing improvement it is time to consult your PCP.

Please let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to hearing about  your progress. Don't forget the important element in healing, Rest!

Take Care,
~Tuck
Tuck / Jaybay,

Thank you for taking time out to read my post and replying.

The pain reached it's peak a couple of days after I felt something when I was golfing. However the pain has not subsided since, nor has it got worse. It's been 10 days since the injury. It just won't go away!!!!! I want this to heel so I can get back out golfing.

I started to double up on the OTC ibuprofen, I was told by the pharmacist today I can have up to 3200mg / day. I am hoping that this will help speed the recovery along with ice, heat and rest.

My PCP never called in a scrip for Ibuprofen, I have to call back tomorrow and see what is going on.
I got my iboprofen today, 600mg. 1 tablet 3x a day.
I tore my intercostal muscles golfing. I did not know what it was since i fell the same day into my van door loading my clubs. doc thought it was a rib FX but negative on xray. two weeks has gone by and went out golfing, bad move. DO NOT SWING A CLUB AT ALL UNTIL YOU HAVE NO PAIN!! i took narcotics for pain and went out golfing now I have torn intercostal muscles requiring surgery. I will never play golf at 100 percent again. learn from me please !!! I am a police officer and may have to retire from that job also, it is so painful in and out of the patrol car..
with respect , you can wait at least to swing with absolutely no pain or you will be in deep trouble for life.I pray I can at least play some, but no more 280 yard drives.
Wow- I'm glad I read thus post. I know I tore something. The consensus  between Docs is Intercostal Muscle tightness. It's been 3months. They have me doing PT but the pain from that is unbearable....I need to find a Doc who knows this area?? Any idea of what type of Doc I should see. So far I've tried PT, Chiropractor, and Acupuncture . I've had an Xray of ribs which were negative. I also had an MRI of thoracic spine but it's being re read because it mentioned nothing about muscles- just discs...only meds I've tried is: 1week on prednisone(oral steroid), Ibuprofen....the Doctor did suggest a muscle relaxer and I took for one day and was too tired and no relief...I am too @the point of might having take a Medical Retirement from the US Merchant Marines (which I don't want- I have 23years) ..any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated....Oh yea- I'm in the NY/NJ area and you would think some one can gives me a definitive diagnosis...and I've been too all the major hospitals..