Pain Management Community
Tricep pain waking up from sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Tricep pain waking up from sleep

Has anyone gotten a huge amount of sharm pain in their arm mostly the tricep while they were sleeping and the pain would barley subside despite taking alot of asprins?  I'm wondering if tennis elbow can set in a week after someone stops lifting or if its just that im sleeping on a sagging matrress and in a cold room.  Sometimes my left arm goes numb when i sleep because i sleep on my left side, but this is my right arm that is in alot of pain for about 6 hours.  Moving and stretching my arm only made it feel worse... thanks for any imput
It just so happens, that I have seen my doctor in the past week, about this very problem.  This is NOT to say, that this mirror's YOUR problem.  Only sharing what is true in my case.

My right arm does the same thing.  While I DO have a torn rotator cuff in that shoulder, my pain is in my tricep and bicep.  It wakes me up almost every night.  Numbness and cramping type of pain.  When I try to "stretch it out," it only hurts worse.  It hurts so bad, I deliberately try to lay ON the arm, to try and stop the discomfort.  

In MY CASE, it is from overuse of that arm, from strenuous exercise.  Sometimes aspirin AND pain medication do not even relief the pain.  While I know that I may be MISusing this arm, due to overcompensation from the rotator cuff tear, my doctor feels it's from overuse.  He prescribed Celebrex, but I prefer to take Enteric aspirin.  This has helped a little..  And I stress, a little..

I suggest that you see your doctor to diagnose "your" problem correctly.  A heating pad has been very helpful to me, in case you want to try that.  I wish you the best of luck.  Please post again, after your doctor has told you what is causing your pain. I would be interested to know what he/she says and what they feel is the best treatment.  I would love to know what I can do, to help with all this sleep disturbance, from this arm pain.

Best wishes, Heather
Thanks for sharing your experience, we have similar symptoms and it could be from overuse of my arm, i've got a horrible job working for a construction company fulltime and since i didnt feel it made me any stronger i continued lifting weights; benching above my body weight, curling 55pound weights/ sets of 20+ pullups etc... My new matress seemed to alleviate some of the pain.  Since then i've stopped all weight training for 2 weeks now and it seems like my arm is almost fully recovered except when i try and lift something moderately heavy then there is some pain.  Hopefully next week ill start lifting weights again.  Im just really glad it isn't tennis elbow.  ps Chris Cornell's new album Carry On is coming out in the US on June 5th but almost half of his songs are available for download on the net.  It's a great album..