Pain Management Community
Trigger Point Theraphy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Trigger Point Theraphy?

I was reading something on another website about some people who were abandoning traditional pain management and doing something involving doing something with certain "trigger points" in the body. Some of these people were finding it works for them. Does anyone know about this theraphy and what kind of pain it works for? I imagine its more beneficial to those with centralized pain like lower back, and not all over pain like fibro. I can't find the article now. Could someone please summarize for me?
You have asked a good question.

Are you talking about trigger point injections? I have had them in the quit a few times in the past. I did not obtain any significant releif with them. I assume there are CP patients that have experienced pain releif or they would not be doing these injections. If I recall correctly it is a "caine" injection, similar to a Novocaine. Is that what you are asking?

Hopefully our members will offer additional information for you. I have found articles on the web regarding this procedure. Just search "Trigger Point Injections."

If you are talking about other procedures in the trigger point sites I do not have any personal information on it. I can do a search for you if no one else has information. Please let me know.

Take Care,
Tuck
Yes that was it the injections, I wasn't sure what was in them. I only read it briefy and didn't get the whole picture. Thanks Tuck
I have had these injections done by a surgeon as well as my PCP. On occasion it has relieve the severe pain for several hours. My PCP claims that these injections have been very effective for some of her patients.

They certainly aren't painful, at least I didn't think they were. However needles or injections just don't bother me. The worse injection I ever had was in the tip of my big toe to numb it. Who would have thought that a toe injection would be the most painful after all the injections I've had....and after a MVA that left me hospitalized for almost six months and multiple surgeries....the toe?? :)

So again I think it may be worth a try.  

~Tuck
hi my adventure with trigger point injections.. yes my idea of fast relief, my frozen shoulder i can't raise my arm up to shave my pit, comb my hair wet or dry UGH so my orthopedist said try trigger point they injected 4 triggers fat beady balls under my skin which are now Mass producing so i have a new adventure brewing  they inject you dry needle or with lidocain novacain bevacain type analgesics, they inject several painful area i prefer them, but my no fault MVA would pay for them my case is closed so now my fidelis don't cover them or Drs don't take my insurence soo I just found a medical website i bought my own TENS EMS and an ultrasound which is what my CHIRO uses on me so i'm going to save my 35.00 OV and try all these treatments at home i even bought my own massage table on ebay so my BF and I play massage and therapy assistant, having someone who knows how to give massages and has patience to rub for HOURS is a GODSEND for me,  the restless legs are so bad when i get out of work and try to SLEEP Ugh so
i read BOTOX is now being used for muscle spasms not sure about that, I am trying new VIt mineral supplments  DHEA, 5 HTP L carnitin  for my FIBRO CF menopausal PMS all of the above hypo thryoid symptoms  SAVELLE  and lyrica and cymbalta My body hates it one dose and the worse side effects surface so i'm staying  natural as possible however flexeril and Melatonin ativan makes me dream WHACKY i wake up pissed off and exhausted so this don't help me sleep. soo i was told Liposuction to remove these multiple fatty lipomas but its considered cosmetic? painful lipomos can't be cosmetic when they press on my pelvic nerves and MORE ... back to tens and massage  37.5 mcg synthroid  took alot of my pain away and VIT D was low and my VIT b 12 malabsorption is great! plus a gluten free menu is keeping me working 24-40 hrs a week but I spend alot of time inbed trying to get my wits baack  being a CHHA and PCA I work hard when I work UGH!
My heart goes out to you. I know what its like to try to work around all this pain. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I have had trigger point injections and found them useless.

The actual pain reliever part of the injection (the pharmaceutical ending in -aine) is just like that you get with a tooth extraction. It wears off in a few hours.

The other substance is usually a steroid, if memory serves, and does not provide permanent pain relief, either. To extend the pain relief you must see the doctor again and again, to get the injections.

Trigger point therapy probably works best for people with chronic pain that isn't driven by orthopedic problems or injuries, or for those without nerve compression.

IMHO, if you can see the cause of your pain on your spinal xray or mri, stick with oral pain medications that you have more control over and don't require your paying for an office visit every few days, months or weeks.

I could be wrong, but I'm only human.
I had 5 sets of trigger point injections in my arm for tendonitis. I feel like it was worth the shot, but word of warning they are pretty painful. If you are in a lot of pain though, it doesn't really compare, it's just hard to justify letting someone stab you with a huge needle over and over and over again in a session. A lot of poking around, looking for "trigger points" which means poking you until you show a lot of pain. They didn't work for me, but they have worked for many people (so I'm told). Good luck, I'd give it a chance.