Pain Management Community
Ultracet and Celebrex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Ultracet and Celebrex

I had lumbar spine fusion six weeks ago and am in PT.  Still some pain so am taking 3 Ultracet tabs per 24 hours with pretty good pain relief except following 30 minutes on the treadmill and various muscle building exercises and stretches.  To calm down those muscles following exercises and stretches I would like to take one 200mg Celebrex daily but one drug interaction cite suggests "Moderate" drug-drug issue involving CYP450 2D6, which means nothing to me.  My orthopedic surgeon has indicated that I probably shouldn't take Ibuprofen because that may inhibit bone growth we're trying to achieve in my lumbar.  So... is the Celebrex/Ultracet combination really something to worry about?  Thanks!
I am not a doctor or pharmacist but I know that at one point I was taking ultracet and celebrex. I would take the celebrax each morning and then the ultracet as needed.
Call your doctor or pharmacist to be sure as everyone is different and they know more about the drugs and interactions.
Hello Mparoov,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I certainly am not a pharmacist or a physician either.

Ultracet contains acetaminophen (tylenol) and tramadol. Celebrex is a potent NSAID. In my opinion I would not mix the two without first consulting your pharmacist and or physician. It could be "something to worry" about post surgical. However this is just my opinion.

The term you found is chemical term, CYP450 2D6 and there are Inducers and Inhibitors and Substrates....all very confusing and detailed.  It is related to absorption and metabolism.    

Take care and I hope your recovery is swift and non-eventful.
Tuck
I don't think it should be an issue, I took Celebrex and Morphine for an extended time with no issue. Ask your doctor about any concerns though.
Although, Ultracet 37.5mg is a combination pill that compounds Tramadol and Acetaminophen, I think it’s much better than these both medications in separate. By the way there is a trend in biotech when companies create new meds just combining the ones that been already approved by FDA.
generic ultracet