Ultram and Lortab
I have been taking Lortab for cronic pain in my feet and my doc recently prescribed Ultram.  I read on a web site that they do not recommend taking Ultram if you have recently taking another type of narcotic pain reliever.  Can I take Ultram?  Has anyone else run across this?
My doctor switched me from vicodin to ultram. To be honest the ultram didn't do squat. I've heard of people getting addicted to it but it didn't do anything for my pain so I just stopped taking it.
Maybe the Ultram wasn't at a high enough dosage? I take tramadol (100) and robaxin (750) togther to get a little pain relief enough to function at work. I do that a couple of times a day and if I am real bad I take percocet (10/325). Some days though, nothing helps. Want to try the patch I've heard about.
Maybe the reason is because Ultram isn't nearly as strong as narcotic pain relievers, and if you switch to it, you're not likely to get much relief from it?  Ultram is basically zipped up aspirin, IMO, and the problem with it is that it is still addictive even though it's not truly an opiate.  It still works by attaching itself to the mu receptor in the brain, which is the same receptor that opiates attach to, so if you have already been taking narcotics, and are used to their strength and painkilling ability, if you take the Ultram, the part of your body that recognizes the Ultram isn't going to be getting anything as strong as it was getting, so it won't work as well.  Unfortunately, some people will just take more of the Ultram to make up for the fact that the prescribed dose didn't work, and that's where the problems start.  Used in doses higher than recommended, Ultram can cause seizures.  It's definitely NOT the magic bullet that many doctors seem to think it is.

Ghilly
I take Ultram ER for my Fibromyalgia and Lorcet for break through pain. I haven't had any problems with mixing the two. The Ultram ER works on the pain in my muscles etc, the Lorcet works in keeping the joint pain down.

gentle hugs
Angel
Hi Guys,

This is a really an old post. It's from May of 2007, soon to be two years old. You may want to begin a new thread. If you are just trying to respond to the old post you may want to contact the poster through a PM.

Peace,Tuck