Pain Management Community
Unbareable pain in my hand, maybe the abductor pollicis brevis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

It's been hurting for a few days now and I don't remember what I could have done to hurt it. However, the pain originates from where the abductor pollicis brevis is in your hand (from wrist to thumb). If I press on that spot, the pain is unbearable. I'm not possitive that it's this exact muscle but from looking at pictures, this is almost exactly where my pain is. It's that small part of my hand though that is producing all the pain, even though it feels as if my whole entire hand is aching.

Anyways, it's very painful and any movement with my hand causes a pulsating pain from that location on my hand. I'm unable to grab or grip anything with this hand as it becomes very weak and limp from pain when I try. Example, I can't turn a door nob because the force required puts to much strain on this muscle and my hand becomes very weak and limp from pain almost instantly.

The area is not swollen at all. However, my range of motion for my wrist and thumb is slightly less and it hurts like crazy to move my hand at all. If I don't move my hand, it barely hurts except for a very light aching.

I'v taken several painkillers but it's not doing anything for the pain and I can't find any treatments on google about this specific problem. I don't want to see a doctor unless its absolutely necessary because i'm very tight on cash at the moment.

Any advice would really be greatly appreciated.
It sounds bad enough that even though it's a bad time to be putting out extra cash, you need to see a doctor.  Maybe you could pay the bill in installments?

I have a lot of trouble with that area of my hand (actually both.)  For me, it's arthritis.  (Long history of surgeries, etc., noted in my other posts.)  Although the arthritis is in the joint, when it's bad enough, it also causes problems with surrounding structures like ligaments, tendons, muscles.  

Good luck and please try to see a doctor ASAP.  At least they could get your pain under control while they're looking for the cause.
Hi Jmido,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and posted.

If you goggled your symptoms you know that the abductor pollicis brevis is a hand muscle which controls some of the movement of the thumb. This muscle is responsible for the thumb's abduction. Pain in that area can be from a variety of issues. You have already ruled out an injury. The pain could even be indicative of a Carpel Tunnel problem or a circulatory issue.

I understand your reluctance to consult your PCP right away. If you insist on waiting to see if it will resolve on it's own then I encourage you to talk to your local pharmacist. They are an often over-looked source of great professional advice...free! In my opinion you want to reduce the inflammation and pain. An OTC, NSAID may aid in the goal. Your pharmacist can point you in the right direction.

Remember RICE is usually recommended for injuries. In your case it may also apply and be effective. RICE, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. In my opinion, if after several days of self-treatment you note no significant improvement you will have no choice but to consult your PCP. If the pain or coloration (redness, blue or gray in appearance) changes or it begins to swell or becomes warm to touch you should consult your PCP asap. A trip to Urgent Care may even be advised.

I hope you will keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your updates.  

Take Care,
~Tuck
Hi!

I've got the exact same thing going on, and it started in early spring.  It has since gotten worse, but I was diagnosed w/FMS this summer so I kind of chalked up the increasing pain to the FMS.
That said, I am planning on going to the doctor soon, as nothing is making it any better, other than rest, heat, and Aleve, and that is temporary.  I can't tell if it is the muscle or the tendon that is causing the pain, and it is in my non dominant hand, which is strange.
When possible, I use a grip that keeps my thumb next to my fingers, and that helps.  I use my weight lifting straps in the gym on EVERYTHING as I never know when my grip will fail on that side.
Please post back and let us know if you get a resolution, and I will do the same if I get one first!
Good luck!
~~ dgg
Thanks for the answers. It hasn't got any better and it's extremely hard to rest it since it's my dominant right hand and practically anything I do makes it hurt. If anything it has got worse, it hurts all the time now, even if I leave it alone and don't move it. I still can't grip or grap or put any pressure on my hand at all without it becoming very weak and limp.

My parents seem to think I might have strained it writing so much during finals week at college. I'm a chinese major and spent probably a good 2 days, 8 hours straight each day of practicing my characters. Although, I'm not really sure how that could cause an injury that would hurt this bad and last this long.

I'm going to see the doctor but not until Wednesday because they're backed up right now. I'm a little concerned about seeing the doctor though because if it's just a muscle problem, how will they know what is wrong since nothing would show up on an xray or what not.

Also, how exactly do I go about compressing it? I'm not familiar with wrapping things using sports tape but I do know there's a wrong and right way of doing it from years of playing sports.

Thanks!
Since it's not really swollen, I wouldn't worry too much about compression.  If you do decide to wrap it, make sure its not too tight.  You might want to try wrapping or splinting your thumb in a 'neutral' position next to your index finger.  Make sure the thumb is relaxed as you don't want to tape it into an already hurtful position.  At least this will be a reminder to use your other hand as much as possible.  Put heat on it, or you can alternate heat and ice, 20 minutes at a time, several times a day.

If the x-ray doesn't show anything & the dr doesn't have answers, get an MRI.  I'm waiting until Jan to go to my dr, because my horrible insurance is theoretically getting marginally better next year.  I'm really interested in what this turns out to be!

~~dgg
I woke up today and it was completely better, no pain at all. Very weird too considering the pain had been getting considerably worse each day.

Thanks for the advice everyone, hopefully the problem stays away!
Wow, lucky you!  I just saw my PCP yesterday (for something completely different) and she recommended if I have no change in the next month to see a hand specialist.  Hope you continue feeling great!

~~ dgg
Glad to hear that it is resolving on it's own. I sincerely hope that it continues.

There are hand/wrist "splints" that you can purchase and not worry about wrapping. BUT I wouldn't do that at this point. .... especially because it's improving.

Please let us know what your PCP has to say. And don't be concerned about the consult. It's better to be safe than sorry and most physicians feel this way too.

Thanks so much for the update.
~Tuck
This past March I woke up one morning and I could life anything - left hand palm down.   The pain radiated up my left arm.   I noticed a pain almost below the muscle.  I don't think it was the bone, but perhaps where the muscle was attached to the bone.  The day before I was dethatching my lawn by hand with a detatching rake.  

The hand didn't get better for a week, so I started using the hot tub, turning on the jets to massage it. I also deep rubbed the area with massage to try to work away any fluids from the area.  It wasn't until I started taking the Motrin, that the pain noticably went down.  However, I still do have some tenderness using my left hand even picking up a cup of coffee.  

I'm not too concerned about it, as I chalk it up to the aches and pains of getting older.  But, when I get my HSA loaded to the hilt with cash, I'll go in and get some x-rays just to make sure it's not something else.  Wish you all the best.