Pain Management Community
Upper leg pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Upper leg pain

I have been having pain in the upper outer part of my thigh that runs from the hip to the back part of my knee and lower back pain on the same side. It feels like the tissue/muscle is where the pain is. But duren the night it seems the pain goes all the way to the bone. Plus there is pain when the area is touched-sensitivity. I want to scream because the pain is so bad. I notice that the pain begins when i sit longer then 2 minuts. or lay on that side too long.
I have tried over the counter pain meds for it. On the first day it took the med it helpd but the next day it did not offer any relief. I was told that maybe it is some type of fibromyalgia.
I started walkn the day after my first serious attack of pain. And it gave me comfort. However, a few minutes after gettn home, the pain slowly came back.
At this point i have pain all day long & all night long and sittn is so uncomfortable for me.

When we have a disc problem we can get pain that runs down the length of our legs even in to the feet.  It also could be that. I have fibromyalgia and it would be odd that you have pain only in that area.  Does stretching it out help? you said walking does help.  I wonder if it's a touch of arthritis in the hip.  If you are in a cold weather area it could be activated by that.  If it persists more than 2 weeks get it checked out.  Good luck.
Hi Jojo,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us but sorry to hear about your pain.

The type of pain you describe sounds like sciatica. Sciatica refers pain caused by an inflamed or impinged sciatic nerve. The nerve originates in the spine and travels down the back of our legs. Anything that irritates this nerve can cause pain. It may be from a spinal structural problem but there are also several other conditions that can cause this pain. I suggest that you request an MRI. That at least would be a place to begin.

I have SIJ (sacroiliac joint) Dysfunction. The SIJ is located in your gluteal area and I have severe and intense sciatica. Sitting is the very worse position for me and will elicit extreme often burning, throbbing pain. Physicians looked for a spinal issue and when they could not find it they decided my pain was originating in my head. So I know your frustration in seeking a diagnosis. But keep looking, don't give up.

It sounds strange to me that Fibromyalgia would be localized. I have Myofascial Pain Syndrome in my right leg, it is sometimes confused with Fibro.

I encourage you to consult with another physician if the one(s) you are seeing cannot determine a diagnosis. Life is too short to live with uncontrolled pain. Please look in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Best of Luck to You,
Tuck