Pain Management Community
Vacation overrides for narcotics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Vacation overrides for narcotics

I am going to run out early of my sched II narcotic and am thinking about getting a vacation override to get around it. It has worked in the past, my worry is that the insurance company will find out that I should have enough to last me through my vacation, but they don't know how long my vacation is so... Basically will this idea work or not? Anyone know?
Are you running out because you are actually going on vacation? Or are you running out because you are taking more medicine than prescribed?

It's not just about the insurance company...it's about getting the prescription from the DR.

Unless you are on a 'refill' medication like Norco/Vicodin....

However...you need to know that Dr. can easily get the information from the Pharmacy of when you are filling your medicines. As well as your Pharmacist could 'alert' your Dr. of this as well.

Many people do travel over the holidays and need to get permission from their Dr. to fill the medicine early...or take a prescription and get it filled at their destination.

I suggest being open and honest with your Dr. and if you are really going on vacation then being honest with the exact days.

If this is all because you are taking too much medicine....that is another problem all unto itself that needs to be addressed immediately before you get a random pill count or urine test that could get you kicked out of PM...
Schedule II narcotics require a written prescription from the doctor every 30 days and cannot have any refills.  Norco and Vicodin are Schedule III narcotics and can have refills.  

If you pain management doctor does random urine screens and pill counts, especially if one is required after your return from "vacation", you could end up in a really bad position if you have run out early and used "vacation" as a reason to get a written prescription early for the Schedule II narcotics you are taking.  I would think about this before attempting it.  

As weathergirl said, if you are really going on vacation and need the written prescription early but still have the correct amount pills left, you will have no issues.

femmy
I just re read the part about Schedule 2...and I don't know how to edit posts...(is this possible?)..

Anyway...yes...those do not allow for refills. Thanks for catching that..
Hi weathergirl,

I don't think you can edit posts but that's okay.  We all miss things time to time and you responded to the real concern the poster had and that's what counts.

femmy  :)
Thanks!...It was definitely a case of reading too fast.:)

I have a chance to go to Europe for 2 weeks, but I  am on a pain med. My insurance says they can do a vacation override, and my pharmacist said yes. But my Dr. refuses to do it. I have never EVER given him a problem with my meds., so I don't understand. He keeps saying he will give me the script ahead of time, post dated, but that I'll have to get it filled at my destination. What is wrong with him? Does he really think I can get it filled in Europe? I really see this as cruel and he doesn't even know how angry I am. HELP!!! The trip is coming soon.  
Hi there...You are posting in a very old thread...

So I will give a brief answer but you may want to copy/paste this into a new thread so that others will see it better.

I would speak with your Dr. about only providing enough medication for the two week trip if that makes him feel better.

When is your next prescription due to be filled? And when is the date you leave on your trip?

I would truly question the reputation and knowledge of this Dr. if he really thinks you can get a prescription filled in Europe...that is just plain ignorance.