Vicodin Alternative??
Hi all,
I just discovered this forum, and am hoping you can help. I have been treated w/Vicodin for awhile now for chronic pain. I have now moved from the US to India, where it is not available. Any recommendation for alternatives? I can't take codeine long term, and take Effexor, neurontin and metformin daily, w/Soma PRN as well. I can have scripts shipped here if need be, but wold prefer to avoid the hassle/expense.

Thanks,
Trillian
I tried to find out what the equivalent is in India and it is hydrocodone apparently.
I will keep looking but it seems you can get hydrocodone in India.
We welcome you to the community. I hope we can help you and look forward to hearing more from you:)
The active ingredient in Vicoden is the opiate hydrocodone, and it is mixed with tylenol.  Usually they will be written in the script with 2 numbers, the first being the strength of teh hydrocodone and the second number the strength of the tylenol.  So vicoden 5/325 would be 5 mgs of hydrocodone and 325 mgs of tylenol.  You should be able to find hydrocodone in India.  The alternative would be Percocet which is oxycodone instead of hydrocodone.  They both are very similar but the oxycodone is a bit stronger.  From what I have read, a 5 mg percocet is equal to a 7.5 mg vicodin.
I have been looking on the net and hydrocodone ( vicoden) Is readily available there in India. I will be glad to help you with the sites I have found if you ill send me a message.
(These are not sites to order the drug)
Welcome Trillian6, We are glad you found us. I discovered MedHelp in June and have marveled in the compassion, information and support that exists. There is someone here just about 24/7.

I will not duplicate Sandee's searching at this time. However in other countries the same or very similar medications have different names.  

Again welcome, Tuck
Thanks all! God to know it's available here. Cash's(?) in Bangalore said no, and I had heard they are the place to go. I'll try others before I give up. May well have been a 'my lack of the language' problem and I misunderstood. Another possibility that just occurred - seems meds are available w/o a script, so I just assumed Vicodin would be as well. If so, I do have one, will an Rx from an American MD be enough, or should I try to find a local doc?

Thanks all!!