Pain Management Community
Waking-up to 'dead arms' and pins 'n' needles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Both my hands go numb and I get 'pins 'n' needles when they come back to life. I get this numbness when I fall asleep on my left side, when I am sitting and resting my head on my hand or when my elbow (arm) is raised over a 45 degree point approx. I'm thinking it might be bad circulation. Can you advise me what might be causing this Thanks Peter Hughes
It could be several things.  You could be cutting off your circulation, could be carpal tunnel.  If it's been going on for a couple of weeks, you should check in with your doctor to see what they think and how to treat it.
Yeah it's been going on for months now?
I agree you could have carpal tunnel. I had both of my hands go to sleep about half the month and they would tingle when the blood came back in. It felt strange. I knew I had tendonitis though. You could be cutting off your circulation too as said above. Do you have any pain in your wrists or tingling during the day?
mkh9
If it's been going on for months, it's time to go see the doctor!!  Anything that lasts over two weeks (that's more nagging than acute) should be evaluated.
Not in my wrists, but my hands and fingers sometimes go cold then the tingling starts during the day.
Yes, I have wrist tendonitis and possible carpal tunnel on the left wrist but both of my hands went numb, cold and tingled  then also tingled during the day (not the wrist)s. Sounds like you need to see an orthopedic specialist. They can do some easy tests to see if it is carpal tunnel or tendonitis and if so they can have you do a nerve conductivity test. If not then you would probably see a neurologist. Take care
mkh9
Thanks to all, but I can't afford to see a doctor so I will just have to live with it until such a time I can
Hi, well in the meantime, if it is carpal tunnel you can try icining the wrists for 20 minutes on and off. Also, if you can get a wrist brace for carpal tunnel, you can wear them very very loosely at night it will keep you from curling your wrist which can cause the numbness. May sure though they are very loose, almost falling off.  Use NSAIDS like Ibupropin (enteric)  for about two weeks with food (full meal).
hope this helps,
mkh9