Pain Management Community
Wanted -- Caring Pain Management Doctor near Melbourne, FL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Recently, I moved to Melbourne, FL and I need to find a pain management doctor here.  I had a back surgery that didn't take and am absolutely not willing to have more surgery.  I have several herniated discs in my lower back.  I am looking for a caring doctor who will rewrite my prescriptions from out of state (40 mg Oxycontin spans and percocet).  I am allergic to quite a few meds.  I am looking for a doctor preferably who takes Aetna.  I have read reviews of some of the doctors who are providers in the area and, honestly their reviews really scare me.  Prior to seeing the doctor who treated my back for the past three years, I had some very bad medical experiences, so please keep that in mind.  I am willing to drive within reason to see the doctor.  Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.
Tags: caring, Pain, Pain management, melbourne, florida, brevard
Hi!
I am sorry that you are in so much pain. To find a doctor close to your place you can consult your Atena agent or office. There may be others at your workplace or around who have been to a pain management clinic. So, you could ask them. Local pharmacists too could guide you. You could look through the local directory. Check and see if there is a pain support group. Members of this group may be able to help you. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
I did this, but most of their reviews on websites like ratemds.com really scare me, this is why I am asking.
I ran out of meds (it has been a month since my last prescription) and I had made an appointment with a "pain management" doctor who was a bit of a drive in Port St. Lucie.  I had explained to his secretary over the phone that I have been on this prescription for some time and it works the best for me out of anything I have tried.  I had all my documentation faxed from the doctor who I have been seeing for the past several years.  I had been under the impression per my phone conversations that this doctor was willing to treat my condition.  

Fast forward, I go there, submit my urine for the drug test, fill out their paperwork.  I went in to see the doctor.  He doesn't want to treat me, acts like I am a non-compliant patient (I have always taken my meds as directed and haven't even drank alcohol while I have been on the Oxycontin spans because the MD I have been seeing for the past couple of years told me not to) and wants me to go to detox without even asking me about my pain.  He kept telling me that he doesn't write prescriptions for the meds that I am on, especially just meeting the patient (his secretary told me when I made the appointment that he would be willing to treat me as a patient (I had assumed that this decision was made after reading my medical history, I was mistaken)).  I am really upset, I wasted half a tank of gas, my co-pay, and all day seeing this creep (not sure why he couldn't just explain over the phone that he wasn't comfortable or possibly didn't think it was legal in Florida (???!!!) to go with this line of treatment so that I could see someone else instead.  The exam of my back and the areas that he touched while examining it hurt so bad that I actually saw stars a couple of times (I told him about the stars, not about the pain, because at that point I was already starting to get the feeling that he either did not believe me or did not want to deal with it.

I am in a lot of pain and just want to end it right now.  I am not sure if I should try to get back to the state that I came from (although I am too uncomfortable to travel) or try to find another doctor in Florida.  I am just at a point right now that I really hate it and don't know what to do.
Hi!

Hope saying "God bless" is ok? Suggestion: If you have a primary care physician where you are, phone the office or have a Visiting nurse call for you and request/suggest that lidocaine patches could be tried in your case. I have been in excruciating pain for over 2 years. Felt like my symptoms were being dismissed. 3 days ago started  with 2 small pieces of a patch on my spinal column at night 12 hrs on 12hrs off for my prescription, don't know if it varies. 2 good nites sleep and nearly no pain while patches are on and better thinking process without the pain at least 1/2 day.
Some  patients have good results using a TENS machine the other 12 hrs. Who knows worth a go at it (:}) and God bless my nurse!
Hi Monacat!
I live in Brevard County and have had trouble finding a pain management physician. Please send me an email and I'll give you my suggestions from personal experience!
***@****
whats your email ?
Please exchange contact info privately - it isn't permitted to be posted in our public forums.  Just hover your cursor over the member's ID, and a box will pop-up offering the option to send a private message.
it may be difficult finding a doctor in florida to prescribe those meds.  the DEA came down HARD on florida for basically handing them out like candy to anyone, from any state, that had the cash.  i would still think that there is someone out there who legitimately will help you with your pain management issues.  is there any way to get the doctor where you were from to give you a referral????