Pain Management Community
Welcome to the Pain management community!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Welcome to the Pain Management forum!  We are so glad you joined our community:)

If you or a loved one has experienced pain of any kind that has affected your life you've found the right place.

You'll find we are very supportive and caring and understand how pain can affect every aspect of our lives. We understand you may be shy to make that first post as pain can affect us in such personal ways, that's ok- But keep in mind that no question is too silly or strange!

Please feel free to look around the forum and get to know the options you have on your personal profile.

There is an option to view the 'community archives' located next to the green 'post a question' button. In it you will find the forum’s past questions and posts regarding the treatment of Chronic Pain and some of the possible treatments you may have had or would like to learn more about. There is also the 'health pages' option in the upper right corner of the forum. You will find some great information on symptoms and the different options available to treat your pain.

You have many options on your personal profile. You can 'add' friends, send 'private messages' and post 'notes' to the other members of MedHelp, as well as add Trackers as they become available! You'll also find you have a 'Journal' on your profile. You can write anything you like in your journal and chose to make it public for any other MedHelp member to see, allow only your friends to view it or keep it private for only you.
You may also want to fill out a little bit of information about yourself on your personal profile so we can all get to know more about you as you post and comment in the community.

We're so glad you have found Med help's pain management community and really look forward to getting to know you better, and learn how your pain has affected you and your quality of life.

We want to make sure this community is as helpful and supportive as can be. So If you ever have any ideas or comments on how this community can offer even more help and support, please feel free to message us at any time and we'll do all we can to make it happen!

The pain management community is very special and important to not nly us, but to the other members.  We welcome you to post your questions as well as offer any help and support you can to others here. We all deal with pain and ,of course , the issues involved with living with pain daily and we all have different ways of dealing with it. That makes us all well experienced in the things we must deal with day in day out and your experiences and knowledge will help members here that are new to this so we  encourage you to share your knowledge as we are sure it will help someone else.

Also tell your friends or loved ones about our community here. The more members we have the more support, advice and knowledge we have in our community and it will benefit everyone for the community to grow.

When you see a new member has joined feel free to send them a welcome note or message.

Sandee1818 & Tuckamore
Your Community Leaders
Thank You for the welcome. I'm so glad that I have found this sight . I've had a life time and a half of pain. It's good not to feel so isolated anymore. Once again Thanks!!!!!!!       Now All I Need to do is figure out witch Forum is best suited for me as I have several diffrent problems. Cervical sponlilosis,RSD, Optical migraines that my be linked to TIA'S, as well as strokes and Bipolar. Any suggestions?
Hi, I am glad you joined too! Your welcome to join all the forums that you feel is right for you. There are so many that cross over, we here in the pain management community have several other forums we are committed to also such as the fibromyalgia community and many more. So join the communities that you feel will help you, we look forward to hearing more from you!
Just a word to introduce myself.  I am a 58 yr old single woman and have been diagnosed with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, and diabetes.  Until recently it was only in my right foot but after a month of some severe pain flares, engulfing my whole body, it has settled in both my feet , and my eyes and occasionally my mouth.  I have finally come to a point of dealing with all the depression that goes with the territory, but now am living for the here and now.  My latest challenge is having a severe sudden drop in my vision, but Im getting through.  I have learned that most people that are sick are grumpy, but Im sick all the time and dont want to be grumpy all the time, so I have made the decision that no matter what I will be pleasant and not let my health make me an old grump.  Im pleased to meet you and would like to learn more about all of you.  Kathy
Hi Momwire....welcome to the community! I'm tresa...I also have rsd...I have it in both hands. I was diagnosed after a year and a half of seeing different dr's, nobody knew what was wrong. Finally got the diagnosis. it ***** doesn't it? I agree with you about your decision on trying not to be grumpy. I  try not to, at times it is really hard. Well good luck and i wish you better healtyhin the future. If you want to chat or just vent I'm here!
Welcome and  am so glad you found us and hope we can help you in anyway we can!
I am so proud to be a part of this community , there really are great people here that go out of their way to help and it makes me feel good that I am a part of such a great group of people.
If you need anything at all please let me know and I hope to hear from you> We all suffer daily and we have ways we deal with our pain that could help others so feel free to offer your expertise here as it will be most welcome:)
At Target, I am signed up for the Automatic Refill Program for Tramadol, something I take for my back. I've been told that my prescription is to get refilled six days before I run out. A few months ago, my doctor gave me one prescription with 2 refills. The pharmacy filled my bottle six days ahead of time (the first time) -- then after that, filled the last two in 30 day increments, so it is always filled six days before I run out.

On September 10th, the pharmacy called my doctor and got a new prescription approved -- this time with no refills.

Does the previous prescription affect this new one, meaning will the pharmacy always be counting off the original? Or does a new prescription mean a new timeline, being set up for six days early?

Thanks!!

Sorry if this is confusing as hell.
Hi All, I just stumbled upon this site by accident, looking for answers to my own health problems, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Inflammatory disc disease ,Degenerative disc disease and I cant believe I found a forum with people like me, that are dealing with the same ups and downs that I have. Thanks for making a place like this for people like me to go to talk and find answers.
Thanx for the welcome,I take care of my gf, who has sensory neuropathy, and Freidriech's Ataxia, and cannot walk from it.I hope to be able to attribute help to some people here, as I have 2 years of college for pharmaceuticals. I was going to school to be a pharmacist, but I dropped out. I do retain some knowledge from college, so maybe I'll be able to help anyone with medicine inquiries.I also have a few questions as does my girlfriend. Thank You for welcoming us!
Thanks for the welcome. I have been looking for someplace to ask some questions and I hope this is the place. I have read a number of the postings and I feel like my pain is small compared to what some people have to deal with. Let me explain and then maybe you could tell me if I am a fit and might be able to get some help here.

A little over 1 year ago I had Angioplasty surgery that ended in having 6 heart stents installed. Prior to this I had been healthy all my life. I am a Diabetic that has been under control for over 10 years. Because of this I kept myself in great shape exercising 4 days a week, I ate right and felt great. I had no I idea I had any problem before being rushed to the hospital with chest pain and shortness of breath. After some tests it was off to the operating room.

I remember on the operating table being in great pain in my back when they strapped me down. For an Angioplasty you are awake. They finally gave me enough meds to knock me out.

When I woke up I had burning in my left leg above my knee. When I asked they said maybe it was residual from the operation. Within three weeks it moved down to my foot and up my left side. It is now something I live with 24/7. This burning feels like I have a bad sun burn and someone is slapping it. Ever had that happen?  

They have run many tests and have found nothing. I think they where mostly testing to see that they had not done anything during the surgery I could sue them for. They say they have checked for everything and can find nothing it must be in my head. One doctor told me it was Diabetic Neuropathy. I checked into Neuropathy but this is something that comes on over a long term and not suddenly.

I had been paying to go to Acupuncture treatments as my health insurance would not cover it and it had been giving some slight relief for about 4 months but no longer does anything for me. When it gets real bad all I can do is put ice packs directly on my leg and that relieves it some. They have given me Percocet but it does nothing. Sometimes it helps to get in my Jacuzzi.

Where I am at now is I have run out of steam fighting this. A year might not sound like long but it has changed me so much. I was a fun loving life of the party type; always out to help people and seeing the best in life. I am always tired and have turned into a negative and always angry person. I am to the point I fly off the handle at the most little thing and just want to hurt something. I guess the macho in me has not allowed me to reach out before this. But at 52 years old I just hate life and I refuse to live like this. I am not suicidal just refuse to believe that nothing can be done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for being there for people and I hope that one day I can get thru this and reach out
i have been here a couple of times but as time goes by i realize the effects the injury i sustained and the after affects that me and my family and others who may come in contact with me go through.i will stop in more often to see if my experience can in someway help someone else or vice-versa.at this point i will try anything(legal and within reason!)to reduce the lower back pain that i suffer from.i guess the one thing that always keeps me going when it gets so bad is the fact that there are many people who are way worse than me and that helps my mind at times but of course not always.thanks again for the welcome and i guess im officially introduced.

regards,

dnout
gryphon56, Hi of course we would love to have you here and yes you'll fit in great we look forward to hearing more from you!

downout, the same goes to you and yes we can always use more experience and knowledge.

kindly let me know remedy as I am start feeling pain/itching on upper portion of feet
for the last few days. This pain is like sting.
regards
Not the happiest club in the world, but what the hell. I'll give it a whirl.
I'm new here, too.
I saw a video once of some people trying to herd cats. Imagine it, That's what my life's been like for the last six months. Nothing is going where I want it to go,  I've had chronic pain for 12 years, with brief periods of rest after cervical spine surgeries.
Since late July, I have been having a lot of falls and repeat, undiagnosed pneumonias that led to an open lung biopsy, more neck pain, and steroid induced diabetes. As depressed as that makes me sound, I am actually extremely happy to be alive. I was on a respirator for 3 or 4 days after the biopsy surgery, and I woke up from it.
We still don't know whether the respiratory problems will kill me, but I am gettng treated, and my kids still have a mom. I'm surprisingly happy a lot more often than you might think. It helps to know there are others out there who understand. Thank you for being there.
--Still herding cats...
hi i'm new here also i posted my story under my name but i'm lookinf forward to visiting with others who know about pain and understand each others trials and acomplishments
flutter
I hurt, I hurt.

Hi, I just joined here and hoping I can find others to share with.  My husband does the best he can to help me, but I think he's scared too.

I posted my basic information on my profile, so, please, feel free to take a look.  

Looking forward to learning and giving.

i have 22 aches & pains
I'm 38y.o. and this is the first time I've been on the internet . And look what I found !!! Iknow you'll all understand when I say I am so unhappy to have found soooo many people in the same place I'm in.PAIN.I've spent the entire night reading,typing,ignoring household chores, I am so glad I found this site and I hope to incite discusion and answer from experience. I am so glad I found this place !!!!!!
Welcome to the Pain Management forum!  Everyone here is wonderful, and SO helpful despite the fact that every last one of us spends our days dealing with chronic pain.  If you are feeling depressed, there's always someone here to talk to!  You're going to be VERY glad you found us!  We're glad to have you here!

Ghilly
I am having a hard time finding a doctor whom will work with me on pain control. My doctor that I have been seeing recently ran into financial troubles. He may have other issues. He is not seeing patients. I live in Tacoma Washington. If you may know of a good dr. that might be helpful, it would be sooo appricateed. I wrote earlier and was told to call local clinic or go to an ER. This seems and sounds easy, although I am running into obstacules. It seems as though I have the plauge when I tell a clinic or office whom my prior physican was. I have to tell them becasuse of records they may need. Also the meds that I have been taking, are dangerous to just discountinue! I heard of a man with the same situation and he went to the ER, the treated him as an addict and only gave him a presription that did not keep him from withdrawl (withdrawal) and also he ended up back there with a grand mall seiusure. PLEASE HELP. i CAN NOT TAKE CARE OF MY CHILDREN WHILE IN WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) AND  IN AWFUL PAIN.
sINCERLY NEEDY
Great you are helping Sandy!
Thank you for all you do.
Dee

I am still battling cancer...I will be back soon.
I am being prescribed 4 1,000/325 Vicodins a day and four (4) 20mg oxycodone pills too. The poronlem comes due to the oxycodones make me nauseous and the Vicodones wake me up.
Am I being overdosed by taking both of these every day?
Thank for any assistance
Hi fastdave57,
   I have no idea if your taking too much medication. It depends on how long you have been taking narcotics and how they effect you.
If your just starting out then yes I would say your overmedicated as two 20 mg oxycontins and the vicoden for break thru pain would be a better choice. But remember it is not an exact science to say if your over medicated or not . As I said there are too many variables involved.
I would advise trying to cut down as much as you possibly can and if the symptoms do not get better talk to your doctor.
I have had fibromylagia (fibromyalgia) for 4 yrs..started with elbow/arm injuries at "safe":office job.  Pain ranges from nasty irritating but barely manageable to off the charts, screaming in my brain, unbelievable....
Been on fentanyl 50mcg patches for over a yr, started at 25mcg.  Don't seem to get very much relief from them anymore ..have morphine for breakthru pain but scared to use it..so have only taken it once....have allergies to binding material in pills. Don't know what to do.Dont want to take something that doesnt help...  Have been trying to use water therapy, meditation, etc helps  some but seems that efficiency of patch is compromised...so thought maybe to get off this med slowly, ..Have flat type of patch and  this time, have  cut a very small slice off. Thought would do this very gradually...
Thank you for the welcome.  I have had fibromyalgia for almost 2 decades and have tried almost everything there is for the pain.  I have it down to managable but have found that there is little support in the medical community for people with chronic pain.  I recently founded an organization specifically for the purposes of helping those who suffer with chronic pain.  There is so much stigma attached to those who are in pain and one of my colleagues and I decided that it was time to stop hiding our pain and start fighting back.  We are just getting started but if you are interested in more info the organization is called Pain Warriors and the website is on my profile page.  I think it is so important that we support and empower each other to stand up for the basic right we all have not to suffer.  Thank you for this group and giving us a forum to speak.
Netchic68
   Thank you , I am sure everyone is super happy to have you help in their support! You are a very generous person to take this on and I applaud you as we both know how hard it is to get everything we have to do in our lives done with the pain we suffer 24/7.
Thank you for taking the time to help others, it is great!
Maggdot, here.

In recent weeks, my pain - caused by spondylolisthesis - has become the central focus of my life.

I can no longer walk more than a few yards, can't cope with even the simplest jobs around the house, sleep very little.

My doctor has prescribed everything he can, but either the drugs work for a few weeks, before ceasing to have any effect, have no effect at all, or cause a severe adverse reaction.

Morphine patches are now my only recourse, but the thought of using a drug THAT heavy scares me.

I'm completely housebound when my husband is at work because I don't drive and can't afford to use taxis.

I applied for a State benefit, but was turned down - on the grounds that I'm not disabled enough!

I'm appealing that decision, but it's so stressful.

I think I have to accept the morphine, but the thought depresses me greatly.

My condition has robbed me of everything I loved - walking, dancing, simply being independent.

Must I now become a morphine addict.....?
*You should repost under post a new question as few ever check the welcome post*

I understand what you mean, I do not drive often either due to my medications. I just don't feel safe doing so and taking my life and that of my two little girls as well as others and putting them in harms way even at the smallest chance is not an option for me.
I have been taking the same dose for a really long time but theres always that chance my medications could slow my reactions ect so I choose to let others drive me unless I know and feel like I am okay to drive.
I do not think you will be an addict as you may know people who have to take narcotics for chronic pain may be dependent on them for relief but certainly not addicts.
Just remember as I tell everyone here you are no different than the person who has to take medications for any other disease. Do not look at yourself as an addict but as someone who has a disease and needs medications for that diease.
Thanks, sandee. Your words reassure me.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

I take medication to control a heart condition and COPD, so why should I feel bad about taking a drug that may help me to cope with my pain?
yes I am 32 yrs old and have been in the military for 14 years and for the last year have been on vicoden 5mg for shoulder  pain then in sept found out that my labrum was torn and went through a bankart procedure( shoulder surgury) and for the six months following have continued my vicoden and have had to take more and more because my tollerance has gon up to having to take up to 10-15 perday sometimes. i got another mri with arthrogram 3 weeks ago and requested a higher dose so i dont have to take as many pills.well my mri came back and showed i have multiple tears in my rotator cuff and retore my labrum. they wanted me to take a urine test befor they raised my dose and it came back negitive for vicoden,so they asked for blood and i drove 25 mins to the va immediatley because they were concerned i was selling them. i took the test and it came back negitive aswell!!! I am very respected in the community because i am a recruiter and this scares me because my career and pride. i have been on paxil for ptsd from iraq and am a gym rat with a very high metabolism and wondering if that can contribuit to the false result along with taking workout supliments such as N.O. explode( nitrix oxcide, pree work out mix) , protien shakes, and Cell-Tech( post workout mix.) can any of these contribute to the results? please help i am freeking out here though my docter is being supportive
I did have the list of meds that could cause a false positive, I will have to look back and see if I can find it. Also Mollyrae has an article in her journals about the metabolism.
I am so sorry this happened to you. This is an occurrence that is not rare and it is really frustrating when you know you have taken your meds and need them and the test say otherwise and the doctors have no choice but to go by the test.
I would ask the doctors to take a retest. There is also a way to check your hair shaft too, I know that sounds extreme but if it has been over two or three days then that may be the next option availble. There are test like this online and they will email your doctor the results as well as you.
Hello~Well, I am new here, and I HURT big time. I have seen so many doctors and none seem to know what is wrong. I say it is fibro, but, they ignore me and one even gave the heave hooo, they say it is all mental. Well, I am in pain, and I am tired of no one listening. I have been diagnosed with costochondritits, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, via an MRI, was noted to have several herniated disc's in my back. and also the age old diagnosis of stress and anxiety. I also just joined the fibro group.

I do not know how many hundreds of dollars that have been spent in trying to find out what is wrong with me, I have had the entire litany of blood test, echocardiograms, carotid scans, you name it. All come back, "NORMAL" Well, I do not feel normal.

I look forward to hearing from you all and sharing stories. I may not be on a lot, depends on my pain. Mine is mainly upper back spasms, neck pain, rib pain and chest wall related. So, the longer I am on the computer the worse I hurt. I even have a good chair and keyboard. Geesh.

Well, I hope everyone is having a decent day. Thanks for letting me join and for the little vent I just had. I feel better already. LOL. :)
Hi Sassylassie,

I'm glad you found us and joined. I see you have been on MedHelp for awhile. Maybe you would like to post a comment or question on our forum where it will be read more quickly by our other members.

I look forward to getting to know you. We can relate to your pain filled journey. Many of us have been where you are or are still there. My heart goes out to you in your search for answers.

Welcome, Tuck
Is there such a thing as Pain Management.....?

I've been through every prescription drug available on prescription and am now on morphine tabs, 10mg.

I still get no relief from the constant pain that affects my back, left leg and foot.
Hi Maggdot,
  I am going to move your post here so other members can see it too.
thanks I just hope someone out there is dealing with the same thing so I have some idea and options to help my husband
wow..... thought I was all alone in this world...  I'm glad I'm not. Perhaps this will give me some peace of mind, new friendships that understand this pain is real, and I might even may help someone else.  Thank you.
Welcome Rilesa,

I felt the same when I found MedHelp's Pain Mangement Community. I am very glad that you have found us.

Our community is full of the warmest, most caring, supportive and informational members to be found any where.  I am happy that you will join our ranks.

Warmest Welcome,
Tuck
THANK for the welcome, ihave been looking for someplace to ask some question and i feel this is right one,but me engilish languge is not so good i try to do my best and i hope u understand and excuse my grammer  spelling and so.
Hi, all.

Can someone please give me an answer on my post?

AngeloA,
I will be glad to help and answer your question but I am having trouble finding it. I do not see it here. Can you direct me to where you posted it:)
Hello all, I've been reading some of your stories and are touched and concerned at most. I know living with pain could be a very miserable fact of life. I myself also live with pain. I developed 3 hernated lower lumbar discs in a car accident years ago, and suffer from constant lower back pain and scatica almost on a daily basis. I've been on various medications for short periods, PT, steroid shots, etc... What disturbs me when I read some of these messages is some of the medications I read that people are on. To anyone who maybe in pain who might read this, who is taking heavy duty narcotic medications, I don't know if your doctors have made you aware of a condition known as opioid-induced hyperalgesia. A medical condition caused by chronic exposure to opioid-based medication. Not everyone who uses these medications will get this type of ailment, however anyone on this type of Pain Management is at risk. OIH is a condition in which use of opioid medications can make your chronic pain worse. Remember, we all have pain for a reason, that is our body's way of telling us that something is wrong, and to take it easier on ourselves. Our bodies are very great machines. Science has discovered that when we over-use these types of medications, our bodies will try to produce even more pain to overcome the effects of the opioid drug. Alot of doctors don't discuss this, their solution is to prescibe more medication, or stronger medication rather than have someone go threw withdraw which in some situations, might be the better solution. Just a thought....
Hi MedStudent,

I am glad to hear that you are not in severe, constant chronic pain. We have discussed OIH at various times on this Forum. I think that the majority of us are aware of this condition. Many of us have gone the route of ceasing narcotics to determine where our pain levels are or if indeed we are experiencing OIH. Any competent PMP will consider this possibility at some point in treatment.

Unfortunately for many of our members the disease process continues to worsen or is untreatable. We appreciate your concern and input. Reminders are always welcome.

Peace,
Tuck

Hi gryphon56, my name is Rev. I'll sign on as new in a minute but wanted you to know about something that struck me in  your post.  It is the burning sensations, have you ever had your legs, feet, fingers or hands just seem to be numb like with pins and needles?  I'll explAIn why I ask after I get your answer. Rev.
I am called Rev. (short for Reverend) and I am just joining.  I am a former teacher, mother of 4 deceased children with my 18 year old son being run over by a truck and kileed as he was riding his bike home from church last year.  I have been married for 27 years to a wonderful man of God and live alone becuse my husband is out in the missions field winning souls to Christ, we usually do it together but I am too ill to travel.  I have people who have keys and come check on me quite often.  I like to read, write and talk about God.  Now as to why I'm posting on this forum;I suffer from osteo and rheum. arthritis,Diabetes and diabetic nerve pain, fibromyalgia,chronic fatigue and God knows what else.  I take 17 different meds everyday, from percs. to vit. D, fromambien and ativan to flexeril and neurontin.  I found this site medhelp because I thought I was experiencing withdrawal from percocet so I googled percocet withdrawal and this website is one that popped up.  I was on the addiction page and for 3 days they got me through with their kind words of encouragemnent and support as I was in withdrawal and it was because doc. trying Nucynta because the perc dosage stoppped being adequate.  The Nucynta did not work and before I knew it in the wee hours Sat.   I was having hallucinations, I thought I was dead and I was upset because I couldn't clean kitchen and if one came to get my body  I'd be judged, I was trying to figure out how to get my leg over my balcony railing so I could fly.  Now that's not all but it all happened because I was trying to wean off of percs as I didnt want to be an addict.  The people at the addictions forum were so!!!supportive and basicallly told me that I have not been abusing them but my body needs them to deal with my chronic pain. One member told me about this forum and boy am I happy,  I will periodically check in with them because even though it was only 4 days it feels like we've been friends for a very long time. I'm glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to new friendships. Rev.
Hi Rev,
I am so glad you found us:)
We all suffer from chronic pain here and we all support one another and many of us here have become great friends as well.
As you know dealing with chronic pain is very difficult and we need all the support we can get.
We look forward to getting to know you and hope you find the community as great as we all have.
Hello again.  I had posted on my college-age son who was diagnosed with spinal stenosis.  Just today he had a s.i. injection and then we went to a chiropractor who realigned his hips and did deep heat massage.  He was put on lyrica and is still taking vicadin for pain.  The lyrica is helping with the nerve pain in the leg.  Being 22 years old, he just wants everything to "return to normal."  I don't think one chiropractic adjustment is going to work but we need to work with the pain management specialist.  I said I would write back after that visit and here it is.  He is feeling a little better, definitely standing taller and straighter, but I think snowboarding in two weeks is out of the question.
Hi Maureen,
  I am so very happy to hear your son is doing better and appreciate the update very much:)
So many times we never get an update on how a person is doing so it is very nice that you took the time to let us know how he is doing.
Of course I hope his treatment keeps going well and if you have any questions or just would like to talk we are all here for you:)
thank you. I am new to Medhelp and even newer to this community. The fact is that I've been struggling with pain since about a year ago, mostly in head, chest and legs. Nothing seems to help me so far, just thought i'd join this community as we all feel the same here...thank you for any support, hope that together we'll try to get some answers as well as some help.
Welcome to our Community. I am so very glad that you have joined us. If you find nothing here but support and encouragement I hope you will find joining our community is well worth your time. I know I have.

Feel free to post if you haven't already. We'll look forward to getting to know you. If you have any questions as you navigate this site please feel free to ask me.

If you would like to send me a PM anytime also feel free to do so. You are so welcome here.

Tuck
We are certainly glad to have you here. As Tuck said we offer support and will try to answer any questions you may have:)
Welcome!
I have a tethered spinal cord and deal with constant pain.  Can you tell me what medication  will help with the pain in my leg and ankle.  It can go from mild to extreem.
Thank you for the welcome, hopefully I can get some ideas on how to handle this pain I have been dealing with now for years.  I am at my wits end and sometimes just feel like I can't even get up, now I have two five year olds that keep me going, but I can not let this pain get in the way of their happiness and childhood, or I will not, and have to say without these two guys, I don't know where I would be, but do look forward to learning some new ideas and how others cope...thanks again..teresa smith
Hello and thanks for welcoming all of us. I stumbled onto this quite by accident but am so glad I did. I live with arthritis, fibromyalgia, and spinal stenosis. I have had these for so long I don't know what it's like not to be in pain. But I, like some others have said, try not to let it affect my mood. I try to live each day to its fullest and do what I am able to do on that particular day according to my pain level. Though I am careful to never overdo because that just makes the pain worse the next day. I am currently trying to wean myself off the narcotic medications I've been on because they are no longer helping. But I have found a topical gel that works well most of the time. I absolutely love it. It is like my new best friend. And I can use it as much as I like. I look forward to new ideas for pain management as well.because as  I have found nothing works 100% of the time. It's good to have lots of options to choose from.
Well, I guess I should go ahead and formally intruduce myself. I am 28 yr old female. About 5 years ago I began to have severe left side abdominal pain. My first recourse was a GYN. He performed a laparoscopy to try and determine the source of the pain. I called his office shortly after the procedure eager to find out what he had discovered. He told me on the phone that there was nothing wrong with me and my pain was all in my head. I never even went back for my post-op. So I went to a second OB. We discussed the possibilities of the source of the pain and I tried several things for months before we decided to do a second lap and remove my left ovary. (I have 2 children already so while I was not ready to completely abandon the idea of another child, I wanted the pain to go away). This seemed to help but it was not long before I was back in her office in the same amount of pain as before. She diagnosed me with IC and referred me to a pain management doctor. The pain management doctor told me that he could control my pain but not to the extent I needed it without a confirmation of the diagnosis or another diagnosis. So for a few months I went to see him while going to a gastro who diagnosed me with IBS, and esophagitus, a urologist who confirmed IC with a cysto w/hydrodistention, another lap revealed endomitriosis, I've been told I have arthritis in my SI joints, and I saw one gastro at Emory who told me I had abdominal tears in my abdominal wall. So he sent me to a colleague of his who did trigger point injections for several months, which seemed to help but only for a few days at a time. When the injections didn't seem worth the hour and a half drive I began looking for a pain management doctor closer to home. I saw one who told me again kinda that he would treat my pain but that abdominal pain was not his specialty. So I went to him for a few months until I went to a local doc for a second opinion who seemed to know more about abdominal pain. He wanted to try a nerve block which I did but it really backfired on me. My symptoms got 10x worse overnight. When he asked about a second nerve block the next month I told him no way. I was not doing another one. I guess this upset him and he took me off my meds and prescribed only naproxen. I did a lot of researching and found the doc I go to now. He gave me complete validation and told me that I made the right choice not agreeing to a second nerve block. We're still in the process of finding the right combo for me but next month I'm doing a neurostimulator implant trial (yes, I told her to go ahead and put me on the schedule I'm ready). So we'll see how much it helps. My main concern with it is that it is going in for the IC and I have so much other stuff going on the area I don't want to get my hopes up too high and find that it doesn't help as much as I would like but only actually doing it will tell me.

I still feel like I'm missing something though. How does one go from being totally healthy to all these issues overnight? I feel like there's a link that ties it altogether that I don't know about yet. I had scheduled an appointment at the Mayo clinic about 6 months ago but was not able to keep it due to work trips going on. Haven't abandoned the idea of going, but I feel like I'm chasing a ghost sometimes and it can be pretty exhausting.

Thank you everyone!
sandee u r doing great job.God bless u
The best place I have found when surgery or pain management is needed is MICROSPINE located in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. Here is a link to their site www.microspine.net They are literally miracle workers there. A lot of their patients have had surgery elsewhere and developed complications and they repair and fix the problems. They actually developed many of the procedures others are now trying to duplicate and their procedures are minimally invasive. Other places also have long recovery periods and with Microspine that is not the case. Imagine finally being pain free and leading an active and fulfilling life. I highly recommend them and suggest you contact them if you too want to be pain free. :)
Neel453,
  Thank you so much!
Has anyone tried the Pain Gone Pen?  It's made in England, West Midlands.  

As I'm recently suffering from unremitting night time pain and therefore from extreme sleep deprivation, I'm looking for something like a miracle.  Before I order, I'd like to hear from someone who has tried this pen and can tell me if it really works.

Thanks very much

Exotica00
hi dear, no I've never heard of this, no doubt just another gimmick so beware.
Just wanted to mention to you that you need to click on the green button on the top of the forum, where it says 'post a question'
the way you posted this it was just added onto an old thread that probably won't get noticed.
so post this question again by clicking on  that green logo ok and I hope you get some replies.
I found this site whilst looking for help or just general pointers on how to manage pain. About 2 years ago I crashed my moped, resulting in 8 broken ribs, a broken shoulderblade, a bruised lung, battered spleen and sternum trauma. I have been coping ok up till now, but recently I have been feeling that I just don't know how much more I can take. This probably sounds whiny to all the true heroes out there who have been dealing with pain their whole lives, but every day I feel like there's a knife in my chest, and no matter what I do it won't come out. Can anyone please give me some tips on how best to deal with this? I have tried to stay positive, but as something of a natural cynic this isn't always easy. Thanks to all who take the time to read this, and I'm grateful for any advice you can give.
Hi Korhil,
     Welcome to the pain management community! We are so glad to have you here. Have you tried pain management? I believe this would be your best option. What does your Doctor say, is your condition chronic or do they expect it to heal to a full recovery?
Your PCP can refer you to pain management.
No one here is hero's we all suffer and support each other the best we can each day. It is always easier when you have support and we have so many awesome members here that offer support, compassion,kindness and friendship.
We are a close community and we do support each other and try to be there for one another not only for support with our pain issues but our every day lives.
We look forward to getting to know you:)