Pain Management Community
What foods adversely affect absorption of ms contin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Are there certain foods or drinks that will detract from the effectiveness of ms contin?  If so, please share what those foods or drinks are.
Hi Again,

To my knowledge there are no foods that should interfere with the absorption of MS Contin or any other long acting opiate. I also did additional reading on this subject and could find nothing to indicate otherwise.

We often forget that our very best source on medication related questions is our local pharmacist. Not only are they the experts, their advice and wisdom is free! I'd contact your pharmacist to make sure that the information I offered you is correct.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck
Thank you for the response Tuck;).  I was just curious because since my doc switched me to ms contin from fentanyl 2 weeks ago my instant urine screen came up blank.  It leads me to believe the instant test isn't so reliable especially  since 2 other controlled meds he administers were not present either.  I have also been eating nuts lately and grapefruit juice.  I thought between the morphine not being so fat soluble, and grapefruit containing that enzyme, (of which I can't remember), that inhibits the metabolic process of many drugs, that perhaps I was to blame.  My pharmacist leaves a little to be desired.  Here is a little example; He was out of a specific medication that I am prescribed, and instead of ordering this specific dosage, he tried to give me a stronger dose in the amount of the pills he was shy, and in an unlabeled  bottle to boot.  This coming from a pharmacy I have been frequenting for over 23 years!  That is what you get for going to a local pharmacy instead of one of the big conglomerates.  Thank you for your time, and have a healthful day!
You are correct about the reliability. See my comment on you other post.

Avoid the Grapefruit Juice!!!!  This is true for most opiates. It speeds up your metabolism and pushes the opiate through your system faster.... that still should not account for the negative results.

Sorry to hear about your pharmacist. Sounds like he's a bit impaired!! You can call any pharmacist with a question. I would just avoid the obviously busy times including Mondays and Fridays as they tend to spend more time with you when they are not so busy.

I'll be interested to hear how your next appt goes.