Pain Management Community
What is next step for non existent L4 - L5 disc?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Is fusion surgery the best or only option for me and what improvement might it offer?  Discogram shows L4-L5 disc ruptured and nothing left, L5-S1 looked like a phosphorous cloud, but again no containing body. I am on percoset for the chronic pain which has now extended to my pelvis.  I was told my surgical option is to fuse 3 discs, and this would be complicated by my moderate scoliosis.  I am 45 years old and otherwise in good help. Thank you for any guidance you can offer.
I have similar problems with my spine. At L4-L5 my disc has pretty much disintegrated
and is bone on bone. L5-S1 is disintegrating and L3-L4 bulging.  I've been in pain ten years, had a procedure called the IDET done. Made pain worse but helped feeling and
muscle control return to leg.
I've had doctors try to sell me on a fusion. Do the research, they've gotten better but still
leave many people in horrible pain.  A phys therapist that I trust advises most everybody
against fusions, says its a big money-maker for the hospital and surgeons but frequently
not in patients best interests.  Other professionals whom I trust have said to only consider a fusion if your pain is so bad you are considering suicide.
If you use pain meds responsibly maybe you can find a doctor to prescribe pain-killers to
give you back some quality of life.  The other thing that helps me to cope is Qi Gong, if you can find an instructor and tell them what you're going thru.