Pain Management Community
What now?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

What now?

I have a chronic pain issue in my lower back, that I have had for about 15- 18 years. I injured it over time doing competition powerlifting. It does not affect my daily routine, my problem is at night when I want to sleep. The nerve or nerves that are irritated make my back tighten up, and my legs kick and twitch uncontrollably. I have been taking 100-150-mg of Tramadol a night, for the last 4 years, and it has worked very well to allow me to sleep, and stop the pain and kicking. My doctor told me he did not want to refill my prescription any longer, unless I went to the Pain Clinic to talk to them. He made an appointment for me to see the doctor at the PC. I went in, and from the moment the doctor came in and started talking to me, she made it clear that I was in her mind, a drug abuser. She told me that I could no longer get the Tramadol, and told me to taper off the drug. She did tell me I could go to another health facility in out town and see if someone there might fill my prescription. I left that appointment very angry and frustrated. I have never taken more than 100-150mg per day, or increased my dosage since I started. Is it no longer possible to get Tramadol for chronic pain? What other options do I have? Thanks, Mark

P.S. I'm a 53 year old male, with no history of alcohol or drug abuse. I don,t drink, or smoke. I'm in excellent health otherwise.
It is a sad day when a doctor treats their patient like this. I don't see any evidence of drug abuse from the information you have related. I am 58 and have been in a pain management program for well over 5 years. Like yourself other than my chronic pain I am in excellent health. You may want to consider seeking out another PM doctor which is well within your rights. I have a great relationship with my PM doctor and there is no reason why you cannot find the right doctor for you. Did you report this incident to your primary care doctor? Please do not give up and "take the pain". Good luck Munk and hope you find a doctor that will listen rather than judge.      
I haven't reported this to my primary care doctor, because he is the one who told me to see her in the first place. I don't think he will take a different view. What are you doing to manage your pain? Mark
I understand your PC doctor referred you to the PM doctor but I think you owe it to yourself to let your PC doctor know exactly how you were treated. I know it is a "good old boy " system out there but that doctor's attitude was very unprofessional. The good thing is there is always going to be another doctor you can see. Pain management is also not just about taking pills.It took me and my doctor about 12 months to figure out what was the best treatment for my pain. I suffer from back,neck, knee and shoulder pain. I have had 2 operations and chronic pain is no joke. For meds I take gabapenten, narco 10/350 and caresperiol(not sure if spelled correctly). I have had several shots in my back/neck nerve block etc. The thing about chronic pain is what works for one person may not work for another. I have heard alot of people say that shots have not helped them but for me they did. Anyway Mark, I hope things work out in your favor and just keep trying both with doctors and treatments and sooner or later you will find what works. No one should ever suffer from chronic pain these days with all the different treatments available.            
The Pain Clinic doc prescribed Gabapenten to help me off the tramadol. After I read the side effects sheet that came with the med, I decided not to take it. Have you experienced any problems with the drug? Mark
Been taking it for years and no side effects yet, knock on wood. I took tramadol for a few years but did not care for it but it was the 3.7 mg, not very strong. Good luck to you Mark.
I can't believe you were treated like that! It is the pain management doctor you saw, I read NOTHING in your story that should have made them treat you like that. I have been treated like that more times than I care to relate...but it has USUALLY been in the emergency room! I have chronic pain and have had 2 back surgeries in the mid 1990's. I am seeing another pain management dr, and although at first I was really upset, since my pain was under control for 12 years, they just didn't want to pay for it. There are VAST differences between doctors, and I think you will be fine very soon. Even your primary ought to be told what happened, it is just wrong! My pain management Dr. has chronic pain...and that has made all the difference. Good luck, but I don't think you will have trouble with your prescription for long.
I have had similar encounters with so called "health care professionals". i thnk alot of doctors think anyone with pain who seeks relief from it, is a drug seeking addict. Hang in there, there are doctors who listen out there. Keep looking for a doctor that will listen to you and help you. Don't be the patient who won't try other modalities like PT, hypnotherapy, aqua therapy, acupunturs, etc, etc, etc. I think most doctors would not want to treat a patient who only wants narcotics, and doesn't want to try other therapies. Personally, I will try almost ANYTHING if it would help alleviate my chronic lower back/leg pain.
Thanks for all the kind comments. I did call another health care facility, and apparently the doctor there does not feel the Tramadol should be an issue. I'm seeing him next Wednesday. Hopefully things will go better this time around. Nice to know I'm not the only one who has run into a PC doc with a bad attitude. Mark