Pain Management Community
What should I expect from Meloxicam?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

What should I expect from Meloxicam?

I broke my ribs about 10 months ago. I have been on 5mg vicodins since then. I have changed doctors and she won't prescribe the vicodin anymore. She prescribed me meloxicam (normally used to treat arthiritis?). What can I expect from this drug? Is it stronger and does it work better than prescription-strength naproxin? What kind of side-effects does it have? Does it affect your mood like vicodin does? I'm just wondering about other people's experiences with this drug. thanks.
Hello Littletootie.

As you know, Meloxicam is used to treat arthritis. It reduces pain, swelling, and stiffness of the joints. Meloxicam is a NSAID. It is not a narcotic.

How this medication will work for you will depend upon your pain source and of course how well your system personally responses to it. I have taken it and it did nothing for my pain. However my pain is beyond responding to an NSAID.

Careful to not upset your stomach lining. Be sure you take it as directed and never on an empty stomach. I have such a touchy stomach due to years of over use of NSAID's that even a small dose of an NSAID will cause me severe GI pain.  

I am guessing because of your youth your physician is attempting to use other options than narcotics to control your pain. I wish you the very best and hope you will let us know how effective this medication is for you.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Hi Tootie:  I don't know the answer to your question but at least I can give it a little bump up the line.

I feel sure that someone will come on who answers to your questions.  But here's a link for
Meloxicam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloxicam
Thanks!
I looked at the page for it here on MedHelp, but I would like to see if anyone has first-hand experience with it.
Hello Littletootie.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Thanks for all the insight!

I took one today (they're 7.5 mg) and I can take up to two at a time, but this one hasn't done anything.
I'm going to see a physical therapist and an orthopedic surgeon soon so hopefully one of them can determine the cause of my pain.
Hi Again Tottie,

An NSAID will take time to build effective levels in your bloodstream although you should notice some releif after a few hours of ingestion.

I am not a physician or pharmacist so please check with yours. However I would give it a day or two and if you do not notice any releif take it up to the level that your physician ordered. Again check with your pharmacist or physician's office.  

We'll look forward to your updates.

Peace,
~Tuck