Pain Management Community
What to do if my doctor stops treating me

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have seen a pain specialist and went throught all the testing they give to find out what to do for me.They finally got it all regualated and now I have been on pain medicine for about 10 years.  After the first 2 years of regulating my pain meds my specialist turned everything back over to my primary care doctor. Now the problem starts, he moved out of town so I had to find another doctor to take me on as a patient which I found the one I am currently at. The problem I am having now is the original doctor never sent my files to my current doctor and now my current doctor sent me a letter stating that he is unable to fulfill my health care needs and therefore i need to find another doctor. It states that he will only be available for an emergency for the next 30 days. That was dated May 2 and I only received it certified mail on the 13th. Now my problem is I take Morphin, and 2 other forms of meds that if stopped I will go through withdraws. I have an appointment with a new primary care doctor on the 24th but he will not supply me with any meds during my first visit. I have been trying to make an appointment with pain specialist but they will only see me if my current doctor sends a referal and copies of my files to them and then they will only see me if they thing think they can help me. I have been checking everywhere for help and I know it probably sounds like im a drug addict looking for a fix but I only have enough meds left for 1-1/2 weeks and I don't know where to turn anymore. I called my current doctor and they nurses said they will realy my messages but they are not getting back to me. I am 58 years old, on medicare and do not want to go through all of this. Does anyone have any sugguestions.
Tags: what to do, Pain, pain medicine, stop taking, Doctor, pain specialist, what, prescrible, laws, stop, specialist, withdraws, stop treating
HI there, I'm sorry about your issues. A few suggestions, first, taper the meds you have left. If you take 3 a day, drop it down to one and so on, it will make the withdrawals a little easier. Withdrawals wont kill you but it will feel like you have the flu. Make sure you get Imodium (immodium) and drink lots of water.

Second, go to the places where the tests were performed, like for example the facility where you had your MRI, x-rays etc. they should be able to give you a copy and a copy of the reports, even if you can't get your records from that one doctor who moved out of town.

Next, get a printout from your pharmacy showing a list of your meds for the past few years or however far back they go. after that, work on tracking down that doctor and see about getting your regular records. He has a license so go to the state's boards to see where he's practicing at, they usually will have an address as well.

That's all I can think of at the moment and I have to run, but that should get you started and I'm sure other folks will be along to offer advice. good luck and let us know how it turns out.
i also have had similar issues throughout the years...due to our health insurance it is very difficult to find a new doctor willing to prescribe narcotics....your best immediate bet is go to a methadone/suboxone clinic or pain management clinic...they only take cash but will help you immediately...your best bet at this point is suboxone...it will help with your pain ,elliminate withdrawels....but you must wait 12 hours after you take any opiates or you will go into withdrawels immediately....get directions from your doctor at these clinics...after 2 to 4 weeks you will be off pain meds and will give you time to find a doctor...its going to cost about $250 first visit and 50 to 85 per week...suboxone will give you energy and take away your pain but do not take opiates during this treatment...it takes away so much stress and worrying while you can still function normally.....Also methadone is the cheapest and one of the best meds for pain and lasts long...my pharmacist said he would recommend that over oxys...sometimes these clinics try to keep you on these meds too long and they will bleed you dry...use your judgement you can tell when your feeling better and clean....it may be cheaper where you live..everything here is expensive...i had my doubts at first but it works or i wouldnt suggest it