Pain Management Community
When I Do Push Up's My Head Hurts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

When I Do Push Up's My Head Hurts

When Am Doing Push Up's 15-20 i Get This Proper Bad Ache In Da Back Of Ma Head?

Its Short But Proper Painful.What Making It Happen ???
I can't say other than maybe your straining your neck possibly and therefore causing the headaches. Are you using a pillow under your head so that your head is not hitting the floor each time?
Have you ever had any problems with your neck at all?  Even tension in the neck muscles will cause headaches. I am sorry I can't be more help. The pressure could be causing them too.
Maybe others will have some ideas for you:)

I agree with Sandee. You may be straining the cervical (neck) muscles. When you exert yourself your blood flow increases and you may be getting a headache type pain from that also. If you have just began this work out routine it may take awhile for your body to adjust to the exercise.

Have you made your parents aware of your pain and symptoms? I would recommend that you inform them. They may want to take you to your PCP (Doctor) and have this evaluated.

Good luck to you. Peace, Tuck
Ow I Just Did It Again OW OW WOW OW OW Jesus Sweet Almighty OWWWWW!!
Beast,

If it hurts to slam a hammer into your pinkie would you keep doing it????

It could be an exertional headache or an exercise induced headache. Do you get the same pain when you do other exercises?

Stop doing the push-ups until this is all sorted out... there are other ways to exercise and talk to your doctor. :-)
!Of Course Not!

But I Love Doing Push Up's
Kicks
Punches
I Aint Just Gonna QUIT Other some Bad Head Ache

All That Aside I Noticed When I Listen To My MP3 And Exercise The Next Day I Get The Head Ache But When I Dont Listen To It I Am Perfectly Fine.......ish
So I Think I'll Be Okey

HAHAHA Yeah!!!! Am Gonna Live Whoopie!!
I never had headaches from push-ups except for last week, when I was doing a FitTest at my gym. I did 85 knee push-ups (I'm a lady, 55 years old). Near the end, when I stopped I go a really excrutciating head ache at the back of my head... really bad, I had to stop everything for a few minutes. My headache kept on being bad but not at a specific location all week. Then 2 days ago it started being more located on the right back side. I imagine it is some muscle..
I leaving on vacation tomorrow for 10 days (hiking in the Rockies), so I won't be doing push-ups for a while. But I WOULD have liked to have the time to see a doctor before.
Make sure you warm your neck muscles up before beginning your push-ups. This is extremely important.

Let me guess, you look straight ahead into a mirror when doing push-ups? At the top of a press you feel a pop in the base of your skull where it reaches your neck, then severe pain and aching for the rest of your workout?

This was happening to me a lot and now I spend at LEAST 5 minutes warming up my neck muscles before beginning push-ups. Another tip is to keep face down when doing push-ups, that way the strain on your neck is decreased.

Hope this helps.
yoooo man that is the same thing that happens to me
like i got to stop sometimes cause it freaks me out and it also hurts

dude i don't know
I can do anytype of workout with no pain but for some reason when I do push ups or pull ups I get this stabbing pain right in the back of my head, where my skull connects to my neck. It's a killer pain that stops me dead in my tracks and I don't know what it is. It feels like something is ripping my brain stem out! What is going on?