Pain Management Community
When should naproxen start to take affect?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

When should naproxen start to take affect?

I have been having hip problems and was prescribed naproxen. I am to take 500 mg of it after breakfast and another does after dinner. When should it start to take affect? How long would it take for the anti-inflammatory effect to occur?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
356518_tn?1322267242
It would take a couple hours for it to start working for pain. As far as it helping with swelling and imflamation it may take a couple days. If this is not providing you with sufficient pain relief after the first day or so then call your doctor and tell him whats going on so he/she can better treat you.
Blank
From what I have read about Naproxen, I take it myself, it said that after about 2-3 weeks you will see, or feel, the greatest improvement. You have to take it consistently to get the most benifit from it. You should get some relief after a few hours, as Sandee said, but the full effect works after a couple of weeks. You have to have a consistent amount in your blood and take it as prescribed to get the full effect, it just takes some time and patience. It will help with inflamation (inflammation) and the pain that goes with it, just make sure you eat something first, because it can really tear up the lining of the stomach if it is taken on an empty stomach. Just a word of caution.
Blank
547368_tn?1332173665
Hi Jermm,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum.

Naproxen in the generic for the more commonly know trade names of Aleve or Naprosyn. It is a NSAID which for some ppl can be very effective in relieving inflammation and generalized discomfort.

It may take up to two weeks, taken regularly, before the full benefits of this drug will take effect. Initially you should have some relief but as with many medications it requires time to build a therapeutic level.

I hope this helps and that the medication will soon be effective. Please let us know how you are doing. Best of luck and take care.

Peace,
Tuck
Blank
964288_tn?1247252784
Just my own FYI.  I've had chronic pain for years.  It's in my medicine cabinet, but never got much help out of Naproxen.  I know it depends on the person ;)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pain Management Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank