Pain Management Community
Will run out of meds and worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Will run out of meds and worried

I am now panicking.  When I got my last prescription, the pharmacy, Walgreens, didn't have enough pills to fill the script.  Since it was early evening on a Friday, I had them fill what they had.  This meant the remaining pills, like 100, I would need a new prescription for.  I emailed by nurse practitioner and told her and then forgot about it.  Wednesday late afternoon the nurse practitioner calls me to check on how the new cream she gave me is working.  She also said, "No problem on sending the balance of the script.  I'll mail it today."  I figured I'd get the prescription either Thursday or if not, definitely on Friday.

Well, my mail just came and my prescription isn't here.  I called the pain clinic (thinking maybe I could drive up there and get another one before they closed, but she's out at a conference and won't be back until Monday.)  I am going to run out of my pills before Monday.

How best should I use what I have so I don't get withdrawals?  I can go to the clinic on Monday morning to get the prescription; so I just need to get to then.

I normally take 45 mg. oxycodone every four hours (I take 3 15 mg. pills.)  I have 9 15 mg. pills left.  How best should I space these out to avoid going into withdrawals?  I am so afraid of that and also afraid of the pain flare-up I'll get from this.

(In addition to the oxycodone, I also take 120 mg. Cymbalta (60 in the a.m. and 60 in the p.m.; 800 mg. Ibuprofen every 6-8 hours, Clonidine 2 mg. a day (1 mg. in the a.m. and 1 mg. in the p.m.) and I have a compounding cream to apply 5 times a day.  I will not be running out of any of these.)

Any suggestions?  I am seriously terrified of withdrawals.  I have 4 kids and no help with them for the weekend.

Thanks.

(I have never ran out of medication.   Even now, running out was not because I misused them but because the entire script couldn't be filled.)
I'm so sorry for the predicament that ou have found yourself in this predicament. Is there any chance that they sent the prescription to Walgreen's? You might call and be sure that they didn't. Also, can you call your PM and see if they have a copy of your script that was mailed and could you go pick it up or could your PM Dr. write one out for you and and IF you get the other one you could return it to them on Monday. Or maybe they could fax in the amount that yo need for the weekend and change the amount on the script that was mailed. (They could phone or e-mail Walgreen's and OK a certain reduction in the amount on the mailed script.)

Just trying to throw some things out to you. Otherwise you will have to cut more that half off of each dose this weekend. Possibly cut out your evening one altogether or which ever is the least painful for you.

Good luck...Sherry
When you called the clinic today, did you ask if they would check your record to see if she had written the script for the difference in pills before she left for the conference?  If she did, there's still a possibility that you may receive the script in teh tomorrow's mail (Saturday).

I'm guessing Walgreen's couldn't put the remainder of the script as "an available refill" because of it being oxycodone?  I've had the same type of situation happen before and my pharmacy gave me what they had in stock and listed the remainder due as a "refill available" on the bottle.  However, they may not have been able to do this because of the class schedule of the medication - I know I would have had this same situation happen a different time when I was using the duragesic patch - my pharmacy only had one box and my script was for two.  Because of the class of this medication, they could not write the other box as a refill.  Fortunately, they were able to call one of their other pharmacy locations and find out that that one had both boxes in stock, so I got my paper script back and took it to their other location.  

Even if they were not able to write the remainder as a refill, I feel they should have offered to check one of their other locations for you to see if they had it - that way you could have either gone to that other location and gotten your full script or possibly even had them transfer the medication from one store to your store and then be able to get the script filled in full.

At any rate, I would suggest that you give the clinic another call and a) find out if the NP did in fact write the script for the remainder of the script and b) if she didnt, find out if there is someone else in the office that can write that remainder for you to either pick up this afternoon (if they are still open) or first thing Monday morning.

Another thing you need to do is to check with your Walgreen's where you had the partial script filled and make sure they made a notation that they were unable to fill your full script when it was presented.  That way when you do take in the new script for the remainder there isn't any question either with them, your insurance company or possibly even the DEA (the DEA keeps track of all pharmacies and scripts) -- if they didn't put that type of notation in their computer/on their notes, there could be some question as to why you're trying to fill another script so soon - without that notation, it will look like they filled your full prescription just a short time ago.

As for what to do if you're not able to get your script until Monday - obviously you're going to be running out of the medication pretty soon.  When you call the clinic to check on the script, let them know when you will be out of the medication and ask them if there is ANYTHING that they can give you to help with possible w/d symptoms over the weekend.

Best of luck - please give the clinic another call and see what you can find out - it very well may set your mind at ease.
There's no one at the pain clinic.  The close early on Fridays.  I did call the pharmacy to make sure there would be no problem filling it if it comes in tomorrow's mail.  God, I hope it comes tomorrow.

I'm not sure whether to not take any and when I start feeling crappy to start with one or to just take one at my usual times.

I will make sure this never, ever happens again.  If they can't fill the whole prescription, I'll ask them to call nearby Walgreen's to see if they have it.
Not sure about where you live but I have lots of times if they don't have enough meds to give you they will give you what they have and the OWE you then rest, I have never heard of you having to have another script for the rest.
I wish you the best of luck you have had good advice.
Jamie
It's the policy of Walgreens.  Not sure if it's all of Massachusetts or just my town or what.  But I do know it will never, ever happen to me again.  From now on, I get the whole script or I take it somewhere else that can fill it.
Hi Mellie,

Just remember you can't fill your prescriptions at a different pharmacy than what you have designated on your records at your PM Clinic!! At least I can't. They will drop me if I go anywhere and don't check with them first.

Of course, if you are only going to a different Walgreens in the network then you should be alright. Just wanted to remind you of that. :)

You might see how long you can go without taking any and try to keep everything as low key today and this weekend as possible. Let everybody in your family know what is going on and ask for their help it making it as easy on you as possible.

Keep us updated, we're here for you....Sherry
I don't blame you for not wanting to go through this again. I would check with your pain dr to see if you can change your pharmacy so this don't happen again. I don't think it is right that if they don't have all the meds you need that you can only get what they have and have to get another script for the rest. I would be yelling at someone for this. Cause I know you can prove it to your pain dr so you can get more but that is so much more work for them and you. Do you think the script will come in the mail tomorrow? Lets hope that it does so you won't have to go without.
Best of luck,
Jamie
If you can take less medication in order to hold you until Monday.  You might have more pain but it beats withdrawals and full on pain.
I hope your prescription comes in!
When taking oxycodone you can break them in half and take a half at a time to make it last. But if it is Oxycontin you can NOT do this.
I do hope you are able to get your medication tomorrow:)
i too have been on lortab and percocet for over 2 yrs, started on lortab and been on percocet for over a yr when i was on lortab i tested positive for the drug but now that the DEA has started mandatory drug testing for people in pain managemnt i now am testing negative for percocet. my dr says that a small percentage of people test negative for certain opiates because of a enzyme in their body. i have even taken percocet in front of him and waited 3 hrs and then did a urine test and still tested negative for percocet. thank god i have a good dr[not a pain management dr but regular primary dr] and thank god he didnt turn his back on me but went the extra mile to find out what would cause me to test negative instead of positive. i wish u luck and hope u can find a dr who will go the extra mile for u
Couple of issues. Don't ever get, just a part of a medicine order, one that you can't function without. There are too many Pharm. to let that happen. These are Class II opiates. There will be no faxing, bringing in carbon copies or anything less than a hand signed perscription order for more. With what you have remaining, I would take one tab. every 6 hours. Your WD symtoms (symptoms) won't have time to show up if you get your new rx, first thing Monday am. Take Care, Pmartin1664
Thank you.  I appreciate that.
I am so sorry that you are in the situation. I hope that prescription is in the mail box today.

If the RX does not come today and your pain is high you may want to consider going to ER. I don't know how helpful they will be in your state. In my state they would give you something to hold you over.

Scheduled II narcotics require a one time, no refill RX can be partially filled as happened to you. It is a fact in my state that in that case they require an additional RX to dispense the remaining tablets.

Here's something I didn't know. You can refuse to accept the partial RX and wait up to 72 hours for them to obtain the entire amount. As soon as you accept any amount you void the actual pill count, even if they gave you 2 out of 200.

You've learned a valuable lesson the hard way. Next time if the pharmacy cannot fill it in total then take the RX to another pharmacy within the system. A good pharmacy will call to other in-system pharmacies until they locate one that has the total amount to fill your RX.

Best of luck to you. For your sake I certainly hope the new RX is in the mail today and that this becomes a mute discussion.

Peace,
~Tuck
Thanks everyone.  I am hoping the script will be in today's mail.  My mail usually comes around 2 or 3 so we'll see then.  I took a half this morning in the hopes of holding off any withdrawals.  If the script comes, then I'll be fine.  If not, I'll have to do the best with what I have.  

I have learned a very valuable lesson.  I will never let this happen again.  It also makes me more determined to look into alternative treatments for my pain and to think about weaning down from all the medicine I'm on.  I just don't want to be a slave to this.  Though without it I'm a slave to the pain.
My prescription came!  So happy.  And felt like not a minute too soon.  Wasn't feeling great.  Very weak, achy legs, upset stomach.  I just took my 45 mg. dose and am waiting for it to kick in to go get my script filled.

But this has really made me wonder about being on these meds.  It's really scaring me that something I take for pain can cause me to feel so lousy when I don't have it (and I know it was only going to get worse; I figure I was just in the start of withdrawals.  I had 7.5 mg. at 8:00 a.m. this morning.)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!  You guys are great.
Really this is amazing.  Forty minutes after taking my medication, and all my symptoms are going away.  But I think I have some really serious thinking to do about whether this is how I want to live with these medications.  It really frightened me today.

I'm wondering about people that used to take meds for CP and chose to get off them.  I'd love a little insight as to why you went the no med route and how you did it.  Also any information on what you do now for your pain.
Mellie:  I am so happy for you.  I agree that we depend on our little.  Personally, I'd rather depend on the pills and have some semblance of a life than have pain and absolutely no life.  That does seem to be our lot in life.

But I am really happy that your prescription came in.  It would have been a nasty weekend for you.

Sara
Thanks, Sara.  I'm glad, too.  I am so up and down with what I want to do.  I really don't know.  I do know the pain was too much to even function.  But I just wish I could take a lower dose.  At the dose I'm at, I find I'm forgetful.  My kids ask me things and I have no recollection of it.  

I've always been worried about addiction.  Growing up I saw my uncles battle alcohol and then I married an addict.  

I also think I haven't accepted the fact that I may have to be on pain medicine for the rest of my life.  I'm still chasing the elusive cure.  I'm going to talk to them at the pain clinic about getting an antidepressant.  Not that I want to add anything but clearly the Cymbalta does not work for me for depression and anxiety.

I want to be the way I was before all this ... enjoying being with people and my kids.  I shut myself off too much and no matter how I try I just can't make myself socialize.  

Thanks for the nice words.  I can't imagine what it would have been like to be in full-blown withdrawals.  The little I was experiencing was pretty bad.
Hip Hip Hooray!  I am sincerely happy for you! You staved off a bull running straight for ya! To say the least. I bet popping open that envelope was tandamount to getting that huge tax return, better than a X-mas present. What a calmness of spirit now, uh?  Lesson learned, I'm sure. From this point forward nothing seems to matter as much, Yep, that's what pain relief is,....  Take Care, Pmartin
HI Mellie:  It took me a while to accept that this was my life now.  Unless someone comes up with a miraculous cure, I'll take what relief I can get.  For the nerve, neck and hand pain I am somewhat hopeful that advances will be made in our lifetime.

But as for my adhesion pain, I have little hope.  It's a problem most doctors seem to want to sweep under the rug.  As it commonly develops after surgery or infections, the doctors want to believe it either doesn't exist or that adhesions do not cause problems.  I can't tell you how may surgeons have told me this.  My pain doctor would like to be able to show them the results of their surgical handiwork.  She treats several adhesion patients.

You might want to look into a pain therapist.  One could maybe help with the depression and acceptance of your present life.

I too have problems with memory.   It was much worse on the fentanyl patches.  A little better on the norco.  It is a worry.

Sara

You guys aren't alone; I have memory problems, too.  And I'm only 21.

I believe it's your subconscious mind always worrying about the pain and when you try to recall events it's hard to get your mind to think about anything other than the pain.
What is norco?  I've seen it on here several times but I'm not familiar with it.  I am trying to get to see a pain psychologist.  Maybe it will help.  I started out with such high hopes with my first surgery.  When I had to have the last one (8th or 9th) and have it fused, I knew I'd lose motion but I hoped I'd at least lose the pain.  If anything, it's worse.  The RSD is better and seems to be controlled with the blocks, but I just never thought this was where I'd wind up.  I'm sure no one did.
Hi Mellie:  It's hydrocodone.  Actually I need to ask for either a higher dosage or more per month.  I'm hopeful the procedure works Monday but I still think it's not enough.

Yes, do ask about a pain therapist.  My pain therapist was clueless but another therapist did help me.

Someone, Mollierae I believe, did a post about taking down their dosages.  She might be able to give you more insight.

Sara
The walgreens I go to are pretty good at making notations about not having enough to fill scripts. Along with notations to fill remaining scripts without another script request from your doctor.
I too an now on pain meds after a rear end collision after a surgery that cured my cervical chronic pain issues. From level pain 8 to 10 and off the charts to a minimal. Well now i'm back on the meds.
From my personal experience if you can obtain a letter from your doctor that states your medical issues and medical prescriptions as well as medical need, should you run out of pills on a weekend. You can go to any urgent care or ER and they can assist yu with meds to get you through till you can see your prescribing doctor.

Best of Luck to you and remember surgery should always be a last resort. My surgeon is a godsend. A brilliant surgeon fro chronic neck ans spine issues.
Sara,

I guess I'm not up to date on the pain meds or the various names for them.  My understanding is the oxycodone lasts longer than the hydrocodone.  I have the name for the pain psychologist, just need approval from worker's comp.  Interestingly, my pain is worse since this break in the meds.  My regular dose isn't touching it.  My guess is I'll need a few doses to catch up.

I briefly thought of the ER (as Tuck suggested earlier) but I know (since I worked there at one time) that they really look at everyone as being a drug seeker.  Maybe a letter from my doc would be a good idea to have just in case.

I'm not sure what I'll do.  But I think the best thing is to leave everything alone and battle the depression because I'm not sure I can make clear decisions while being depressed.  I'm pretty good at faking it.  I'm not sure anyone even knows I'm depressed.  

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend.  I know mine is significantly better with getting my prescription filled :)

I'm glad you got your script in the mail and I know you won't let this happen again. Some people have no choice but be on pain meds for the pain cause there is nothing else that works. Since you wasn't taking your meds like normal you will be in more pain, it is your bodys way of telling you that it needs it. You are not addicted to the meds your just use to be on them. I don't blame you about the ER and I won't go there unless I am dieing cause I dont want to be looked at like a drug seeker. Your right, you need to work on you and your pain right now and if you go off the meds you will be even more depressed and that isn't want you need. I know when I am dealing with alot of pain and on no meds my mind isn't in the right state, I am also on depression pills. but when your in pain and with no meds it can really mess with you so get you together before you go off the meds if that is what you want to do. But like I said alot of people have no choice but to be on them and it is so much better then dealing with pain without them
Have a great night,
Jamie
You know Mellie, I wrestle with the depression.  I try not to show it either.  We both have children who depend on us and I'm sure that yours are as perceptive as mine.

When it really hits, I listen to music to cheer me up and try to forget for a while.  I've got several play lists at youtube.  Maybe there is music that helps you or perhaps some game or funny videos.

I've found distraction works best for me.  There is no real cure or answer.  Just try to keep smiling day to day.  One day at a time.
I too am so glad that your script arrived. What a relief!

You are struggling with the what many of us do. Many of us have accepted the fact that we will be on opiates for the remainder of our lives but live with the fear of what would happen if they were suddenly not available! It's a very frightening thought. It can drive you crazy!

I chose to put it in the back of my mind and not think about it. However when we are in situations that you just found yourself in that thought cannot remain on the back burner.

Don't over think this. It will cause you useless mental anguish.

Oxycodone does not last longer than Hydrocodone, unless it is the extended release form called OxyContin. Oxycodone is a more potent narcotic than Hydrocodone. It's strange that for me Hydrocodone seems more effective on my pain than the Oxycodone, but every one's system reacts differently to medications.

Depression can go hand in hand with chronic pain. Learning how to deal with it can require the assistance of a therapist or medication. I deal with it on my own. I find things that distract me and/or brings me contentment. Being on MedHelp is one of those "things"  

It's normal that taking less or missing a dose of your pain management medications can increase your pain. Flares can occur and it may take some time to get your pain back under control.

Hang in there and please keep in touch. We are here for you.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Thanks for the replies!  This site is helping a lot.

I think my pain now is slightly less.  I'm hoping within a few days to get back to my "normal."

It's funny how different everyone is with the meds.  After my last surgery, they put me on Dilaudid.  They thought because of the high dose of oxycodone I was on that the Dilaudid would work better for me post-op.  It did nothing.  I mean absolutely nothing.  Luckily my pain management nurse practitioner was really on the ball.  She called me on off hours and checked in to make sure I was doing okay.  That's when the increased my oxycodone dose and I've had to stay on that since then.

Tuck, I am on Cymbalta.  I've been on it for a while.  I'm at 120 mg., 60 mg. in the a.m and 60 mg. in the p.m.  They gave it to me for nerve pain, and at the time I wasn't depressed.  But it hasn't helped much for the nerve pain, and I'm wondering if it's making my depression surface?  I know sometimes anti-depressants can have an opposite effect on people.

I'm going to go over everything with the nurse practitioner.  I'm awaiting an appointment with her now.  They're trying to schedule another stellate ganglion block and have me see her the same day.  I have found these blocks to be very helpful with some of my pain but I seem to need to get them every few months, which I don't mind as long as they help.  But there's some pain it just doesn't help at all.

Finding this site has been a huge blessing.  Somewhere to vent and to maybe at times help someone else.  One of the hardest things is most people don't understand.  When you look good, they just assume you're fine.  I know my sister doesn't understand.  I think she thinks I'm exaggerating but I've told her to try a day using only one hand.  The simplest things are so difficult ... can't fasten a bra or dry my hair properly.  Sometimes I forget there's no strength in my hand.  It's happened more than once that I put something like a roast beef or turkey in the oven and when I go to take it out, I drop it.

I'm definitely getting better at learning to do things in a different manner.  I just need to get to a point where I accept my new "normal."  I'll get there eventually.

Tuck, God Bless you.  You're so big-hearted.  Coming on here and helping everyone so soon after your loss!!  Please know, I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.  I lost my mom nearly four years ago, and it still hurts like it was yesterday.  I'm glad for her that her suffering is over but we all miss her like crazy.