Pain Management Community
Withdrawal from Fentanyl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Withdrawal from Fentanyl

I'm currently in my weaning off process and wonder if anyone else is going thru it at the same time as me. I was on 50/mcg for 2 years for a disc protrusion (c6-c7), but had surgery to replace the disc 3 months ago. I was 50/mcg every 2 days, and now I'm on day 6 of 25/mcg every 2 days. The Restless Leg Syndrome is hitting me hard at night time, as is sweating like crazy, the shakes, heightened anxiety, pooping more (which I'm ok with!!), moderate pain within joints and muscles and severe dizzy spells.

All I'm taking to reduce this is tylenol. My pain is gone (I think!) since the surgery, but this is the last thing I need to do. Just looking for someone else to chat with about this. What a horrible experience to go thru! Plus, I'm working FT and trying to withdraw too. Boo.

Ashlee
Speak with your doctor about your symptoms. He/she should be able (and obligated imho) to help with them. The sooner the better!
sounds like you are tapering a bit too fast maybe? Check at addiction place and ask for The Thomas Recipe for some things to help you while you also confer with your dr. good for you and it  just gets better with every day. Enjoy some sunshine!  

omhome
Maybe I will. My taper schedule is 2 weeks (25mcg) and then 2 weeks (12.5mcg). Every day definitely does get a little easier. What has anyone else done for a taper schedule?

I came off "oxy's" that I was using for break-thru pain with no difficulties at all! This fentanyl stuff is just brutal!

Just needed to know I'm not alone :(

Ashlee
This is not good news for me at all. I am 25mcg every 3 days and I am assuming be tossed off my pain management program tomorrow.  I have been concerned with withdrawal as I went thru it after my spinal fusion when being hospitalized for 4 days post surgery and on morphine every 2 hours the entire time. coming home sucked! I thought I was going nuts. the second day I took myself off all meds completely thinking it was the percocet 10s they had me on plus flexeril and gabapentin...when I couldn't deal with the pain and the sweats and shakiness,HIGH anxiety and insomnia stopped I restarted on the meds as prescribed. I then went to percocet 5,no flexeril,and taking gabapentin.  Everything was fine. Then pm dr lowered percocet and gabapentin dosages to less than half of what I had been on for 3 months..there went the withdrawal again...the leg cramps in left leg(nerve damage from spinal cyst has left me with no feeling in left leg,but have restless leg,stabbing hot pain in my left foot) all started 10fold..pm dr then upped gabapentin back to original post op dose and fentanyl 25 mcg every 3 days.   I am thinking I am going to be in hell withdrawing.  I babysit my grandkids 5 and 8,so this is going to be interesting,would be easier I think if I could isolate myself till it's over.  Any ideas as to how long I can expect it to last and what is the normal protocol for weaning ?