Pain Management Community
Worsening Chest Pain- Please Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Worsening Chest Pain- Please Help

My name is Valerie and a few years ago I started feeling a painful tenderness on my chest. I felt like it was my chest wall, a bone issue mabye. It began to worsen with an uncomfortable pressure inside my chest and the painful tenderness worsened to the point that even when I would just slightly press on my chest with my fingertips it hurt badly. At a doctor appointment I mentioned it and I had an x-ray, but my doctor found nothing and kind of tossed the issue aside as I was also there about another medical issue. Anyways, as time has passed, the pain in my chest (pressure/tightness) has continued. However its Intermittent, sparatic, although, my chest is still always tender to the touch. Over the past several months though, it has gotten much worse, there were days when I would wake up and my chest felt VERY sore and tight and whats really scary is it would hurt to even move or put any pressure on my chest. Like if im sitting down in my armchair and I want to use both of my arms to stand up, the pressure I use on the arms of the chair hurts my chest and sometimes causes a sudden sharp pain that is VERY painful. Any pressure I put on my chest during my every day routine causes pain. Like picking up my 10-15 IB daughter. Also little things like stretching my neck to the side, it even hurt to lift my arms to fix my hair. I have felt the sharp pain probably 10 times over a 3 week period, sometimes with little things like that. Its been about over a month since it was so constant and painful. Currently my chest is still tender, feels sore and tight from time to time, and my last sharp pain was about 2 weeks ago, but thats probably because I've become so cautious not to trigger it. I feel like it will just get worse in a matter of time. Can somone please tell  me what could be wrong with me? I dont have insurance like I used to, so I just need to know how serious it could be.

MssVal
Ask about costeochondritis.  I have had it for years.  Antiinflammatories help to control it.

T
I had a similar pain in my chest.  I checked out the cardiac stuff.  Turned out a year later it was my back. I had pinched nerve/disk problems that were causing the chest pain. When my back seized up it felt like it was coming through my chest it was so painful.  I wish I would have got a MRI of my back when it first started.  It might not be your problem, but that is something for you to consider.