a cracked pelvis - exercise/ non exercise and recovery time

My father just cracked his pelvis this past Saturday from finishing painting the house. He is in his early 60's. I'm going to by flying soon to help take care of him for a couple of weeks. I was wanting some advice on how long it will help him recover and what things he may or may not be able to do.

At the moment, he told me that he cracked the two small circles in his pelvis. Two parallel lines but he didn't crack any of the major muscles. Is that a good sign?

Also, I've been told he was given a walker but it was too difficult so he has crutches instead. He has a hard time getting on them. My other question is what type of exercise or movement should he do? I know he needs to move around alittle bit to keep things from getting worse.

My last is recovery time. The doctor said 8 weeks but I didn't know if that was just a general time line because i've heard that some people with larger crackes start walking regularly after 4 weeks.

If anyone has any help, please I would enjoy all/ any information regarding this. Thank you so much.
Everyone heals differently so you can not really put a time table on it. When your older it does take a little longer for the body to heal though.
As far as exercises they will help his recovery significantly but I advise you to get these instructions from the doctor as doing them incorrectly can cause more harm.
I am sure that his doctor will be glad to help you with it, they usually give you an instruction sheet and show you how to do them correctly.
Good luck and if you need any help or have any questions when you get there please let us know:)