Pain Management Community
alcohol and pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

alcohol and pain

i had this problem for many years. when i drink specific alocholic drinks( ie long island teas) i get these pains throught my body, specifically in my arms and torso area. they are sharp. i stop wait a bit.. they go away and well i continue to finish the drink... what do i got...
Strange enough I saw something on Dr. Oz the other day, which I wouldn't put my stock in, but he said if you get pain, especially in your chest while drinking alcohol, you should be checked by a doctor immediately.  Pain while consuming alcohol can be a warning sign of cancer!

Please go to a doctor, right away, don't forget to keep us updated!

I hope I help a bit,
Josh
Hi:

Pain when drinking alcohol should tell you to stop drinking. teh Doctor will tell you the same thing. It's possible that drinling strong srinks such as the Tea's have injured your liver. You really need to have it checked out. And in the mean time stop drinking before you really have problems and need a new liver...which you cannot just go to the grocery store and buy.

Please take care and good luck.
Mollyrae
stop drinking Long Island Teas
Refrain from drinking and go to the doctor....You need to really get this checked out.
I too had the pains you describe.  I did not go to the doctor until...

One day I started hurting in my chest/abdomin/back for no apparent reason.  It got worse and worse.  I laid in bed that night writhing in pain.  I went to work the next day in massive pain and was there by 7am.  All I could think about was the pain.  I told me boss I had to go home and get something for my stomach.  He asked, "Are you going to the hospital?"  Of course, like a man, I said, "NO!"  

Well, before I got out of the parking lot, I heard those words over and over.  I then drove myself to the ER.  Long story short, I don't remember the next 7 days as my pancreas blew up like a balloon with infection, I had a heart attack, a stroke, organs were shutting down, and I was given a 10% chance to live.  I was having a severe case of acute pancreatitis.

Since the doctors could find no other cause because they couldn't see anything around the pancreas because it was so big, I got labeled as an alcoholic which is far from the truth.  It was later decided that I had gallstones which caused the attack.  Nonetheless, my pancreas was damaged and I have never drank a drop of alcohol since.  That was over 2.5 yrs ago.

Great advice, stop drinking alcohol!  Go to your doctor!  Be truthful with your doctor as well.