Pain Management Community
alternative pain medication for Fibromyalgia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

About Two years ago I started feeling sick.  I had pain in every joint and muscle. At first I didn't really think about it, but the pain got worse and worse over the next week or so.  I went to my Doctor to see if she could figure out what was causing this pain.  She did a few things in her office and said that i had Fibromyalgia(keep in mind that she never took blood at that point).  She then gave me a prescription for OxyContin 20mgs three times a day and 15mgs of OxyCodone immmediate release for breakthrough pain. After that, she did some blood work and said everyhting was fine.  to make a long story short, she upped my dosage to 40mgs of OxyContin three times daily and 30mgs of Oxycodone for breakthrough pain.  Since she never seemed to follow up on anything, I just swithched Doctor's and my new Doctor seems to know what he is talking about.  The new Doc. drew blood and did some other tests.  The blood work came back fine, so he too believes that I probably have Fibromyalgia, but he is sending me to a Rheumatoligist too.  I told him that i did not want to be on Oxycontin anymore, so he is trying to ween me off by lowering my dosage.  My REAL question is, if anyone knows of any other ways to help get me through the withdraw.  I have been in so much pain since he cut my dosage down, and i can't live this way forever. There has to be alternative medicine?  I am a 25 year old guy who feels like he is 85. Please help me, I woiuld really appreciate it.  
I applaud you for trying to wean off the oxy, but you really should be under the care of a Pain Management specialist.  There are drugs that can help greatly with withdrawal symptoms, but you still need to have your pain managed.  If narcotics help your pain, no need to feel guilty about taking them as long as you take them as prescribed.
I have the same exact thing as you. I am still in bad shape but I am better than I use to be. I decied to go on a lower pain killer and just try to go through it. Any strong pain killer will have bad effects.
To help with the pain this breathing alternative will be useful. You are right that one cannot depend on pain killers long term. One needs to help the body to fight and that can be done by having extra oxygen in the blood by breathing.
Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then  - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for upto 15 minutes. Maximum 3 times day.
--
I will suggest another technique after you have done this for 2 weeks.
I have the worst case of hep c and fibromyalgia possible, every time I take a pain pill it burns out my liver, they took out my gallbladder and every medication burns my liver I am in true hell, I think of suicide hourly and have a plan if i can not get help have not been out of severe pain in 6 months since the gallbladder came out.I can not go to the bathroom either without enemas daily all i get atr toxins doctors want me to take more pills, mt ggt raised 6 times normal after the operation. I can not funtion or think past the pain i spend 21 hour a day in bed crying and moning, going crazy i can not handle my bills or hygiene, I just want one hour of relief, i sleep 3 hours a night at most dramatic nightmares, and migraine headaches, can not watch tv or read, something went wrong with this operation all docs are playing possum I am depressed well who would not be i lost 40 lbs since june 06 all muscle gone I can not walk I will be a warde of the state as i can not work, i sit in a dark room waiting
till the day I go thru with nmy plan and I love life but
not in this painfull way. still around gar bear.
OMG, I am so sorry to hear your story. What hits me most is it sounds so much like mine, only I do not have hep C. Instead I have fibromyalgia that is progressing, I also have a pituitary tumor, cushings disease, arnold chiari malformation, and bipolar/anxiety disorder.

I too live in pure hell day in and day out. I just turned 28 last week, and I feel like my life has been ripped right out from under me. I am on so many different meds and they change off and on just to keep the right combination to try to control the pain so that I can try to have a little bit of a life. Well its not working very well. Right now there is something wrong with my back, I will find out what it is friday, I am pretty sure its a pinched nerve or sciatica related though. It hurts like hell and its been around a 7.5-9 on a 1-10 pain scale for the last month or so. Its really getting to be quite unbearable.

So I know exactly how you are feeling. I mean what can you do? NOthing, we just have to find a way to deal with it, and to be honest there have been times when I have thought that just ending my life would be easiest. Then I would not be in pain anymore and I would not be such a burden on my family, well I feel like I am anyways. The thing that really keeps me going are my 2 children and my husband. I love them so much, and even though I can not do the things I used to be able to do, they still love me too, and I know that they would be devistated if I left them like that.

So as hard as it is to deal with the pain, just think about everyone else you would be effecting if you took your own life. I am sure you would devistate someone.
Just try to hang in there please. If you need someone to talk to you can email me anytime. My email addy is my med help name  at yahoo.com.

By the way...HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!! :)
I know the feeling of being in pain all the time and not being able to walk. I was like that about 2 months ago. What was even worse was back then my doctor at my time thought narcotic use is horrible. All she did was give me a low dose of cymbalta that didn't do a thing. I use to just sit in bed all day and do nothing maybe do work for about 10 mins but most of the time I didn't do anything for weeks. Now I am better although I don't know if I will ever be able to have a job which I have to work more than an hour on a day. It's still very painful to sit in a chair for a good +10 mins plus.
Hmmm..
I do know what you are talking about and I do know good ways to get through the W/ds although it really is an individual thing.

I think it is important to remember that there is nothing wrong with taking pain medication as long as they are needed and justified.  

Uncontrolled Chronic pain can and will have both negative physiological and psychological effects on the individual.  You have to think what is happening on the neurological level of someone that is always at the 10 level of pain.  Then there is depression and all the other lovely stuff. Obviously taking it for the shortest amount of time possible is best, but there are those that need to be on narcotic pain relievers for the rest of their lives and I really dont think they should feel guilty about something that gives them quality of life.

A person that is properly dosed will not get euphoria/high they will simply feel the pain go away. I am on quite a bit of stuff to keep my pain in check, and I never and have never gotten a euphoria feeling.  Without medication I scream until I pass out, with it I am able to get around take care of my kids and have a life.  Do I like taking the stuff and the dosages I need to keep things in check ? No and I cleanse regularly, but its something that I have come to accept for now and honestly, I wouldnt give up that time with my kids for anything.

How ever, this does require a close working relationship with ones doctor as this stuff can have serious side effects.
Please don't hurt youself, go to a Doctor that will help you someway,there has to be a Dr out there that will help you.  I live with chronic pain too and am trying to make it as well.  God Bless you and don't give up
Hi I have just been reading some the posts here. I am currently in the process of weaning off oxynorm. I tried going cold turkey and man I suffered for a couple of nights each time. For nearly 2 yrs I have been suffering back pain from July 2006 it became severe and by Nov I was averaging 1hrs sleep due to intense pain.I was under the care of a pain specialist and personally I think he got his qualifications from a cornflake packet. He gave me 2 cortisone injections in my back and I was in more pain then, got sent back to him when I was basically walking like I had been drinking. To cut a long story short, I ended up in ED and after a MRI it revealed a tumor in my spinal canal which was pressing onto my T5 cord. I am currently taking 10-15mls a night and was taking 20mg with 2 panadol, hopefully to reduce it to 5mls then none.  I have got 4chn so I understand what it is like not to function properly.  My LFT's espeacially my GGT are sitting on 225 atm.

I have lived with fibromyalgia,chronic fatigue and myofascial syndrome for 14 years. I know you may think that you are the only one suffering but I promise you that you are not. I do believe there is a cure,and I haven't given up,oh I do understand the pain because it is constant. I am on pain pills and it has gotten to the point where it is not working like it use to. I study a lot and I am about to try Dr. Vickery's protocol. I am not saying it is going to work,but I have to try because there are other's depending on me such as you to find relief from this HORRIBLE ILLNESS. Please never give up and know that we love you and your family and friends would be devestated. It is not worth given satan what he wants. Trust in the one who made you and know that everything is for a reason and he will get you through this. Phil;4;13
I too know what it is like to live with cronic (chronic) pain, I suffer from severe EDS. But trust me, the depression will eventually be able to be controlled, and with the right medication, and although you may never be pain free with the right doctor it can be controlled, and the life you get, however different from the life we thought we would have is really worth living.  It's hard to face our challanges when no one else we know understands, not even the doctors or your family really know what we are going through everyday, but everyday does bring new hope of a breakthrough, of a better day, or of being able to help someone who has helped us along the way, even by bringing a smile to their face, and that is something to be proud of.  
Chonic pain changes many of us when it takes our jobs, our ablity to go out with our friends especailly we are younger, but it does have to change us for the worse, I would have never stopped to take the time to write a stranger in need before, but want to help people more now, I have the time, if you need a friend, I will keep checking back, if you post I will respond, I have been to dark places years ago, a stranger on helpline pulled me through, please before you make any decisions call a suicide help line in your area.  But know there is a light here on earth that we can can get to.
I know exactly what everyone with fibro. go through on a daily, sometimes hourly, sometimes minutes, etc.  I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and a lot of doctors today in 2007 still have NO CLUE what this disease is like or how to begin to treat it.  You go to a primary care doc. that sends you to a pain mgmt doc, rheumatologist, pyschiatrist, etc.  All have different theories.  I was a 4th grade teacher and was forced to resign from missing too much time.  I self medicated with a lot of alcohol if I hurt really bad and a doc didn't understand.  Each one of us is individual and feels pain at different times.  Long story short after my COBRA insurance ran out I was forced to go into a state dual diagnosis hospital.  I detoxed off of alchol and a **** load of narcotics.  I was not functioning at all!  I stayed there for 3 months and then went into a rehab. place for 14 months.  I have been back home now 1 year.  I was denied disability 2 times by just filing.  Then, I went before the judge last December and was awarded SSDI.  I have my meds pretty much down now (Cymbalta, flexeril, buspar, seroquel, Lunesta, provigil).  The state of MD now pays for my medicare and after being on Lunesta and provigil for about 1 1/2 years, medicare decided these 2 drugs need to be pre-authorized.  Lunesta is a sleep med.  I had previously taken ambien and it made me sleep walk and not remember what I did.  If I get in bed between 11pm=12am and take my lunesta, seroquel, buspar, and flexeril, I usually sleep about 10-12 hours.  During the day I am so fatigued and hurting that the provigil really helps.  Provigil is a central nervous system stimulant, a little different than adderal, etc.  It wakes you up when you need it during the day without giving you the feeling of euphoria and shakiness.  It really helps with alertness.  I have not had the 2 meds for about 3-4 weeks and I am absolutely miserable!  I can't sleep and when I finally do fall asleep I only sleep for about 2-3 hours.  during the day I feel like **** all day!  My psychiatrist had originally given me these 2 meds and now they decided that they didn't have to proper back up for the pre-auth. that I needed to ask my pain mgmt doc or primary.  My pain mgmt doc did lower back injections and MS contin 15 mg 2 times a day and wouldn't give me anything else.  He actually referred me to a sleep doctor.  I know what works and doesn't work, they don't.  This has all come about through trial and error.When I don't sleep I am in constant pain all day and night.  Sleeping is when your body heals itself.  Without sleep your condition just progresses and your body can't heal!!!  If you do find a doc that is qualified, you usually can't afford it or your insurance won't cover it.  EX:  the provigil is $500 a month and Lunesta $140.  I had been paying cash for the lunesta until I could get it pre-auth and getting 5 provigil at a time for $50 (yes, $10 each).  I also have been where garbear is regarding thinking about ending your life.  I attempted suicide 2 times and I am still here!  GOD has a plan for all of us even if we have no clue what it is and don't understand why he lets us suffer.  Pray for help 3-4 times a day and let it go as much as possible....Trust me....2 years ago in the rehab program I could care less whether I lived or died.  I really didn't.  Now I do.  Any other suggestions for fibro sufferers I would love to hear them.....  God bless.
This is not a joke.  I have a friend with the same condition..she started taking a product called "Juice Plus"  It did not cure her but really helped with some problems.  She still has days with pain but not like she used to.

I suffer from cronic (chronic) pain in both legs and feet and have to take 2 percs a day.  I also believe that almost all of our health problems are nutrution related.  We eat junk like McDonalds, Wendys, etc and seem confuesed as to why we feel bad.  

The problem with "health food" is there is soooo much out there and where to begin.  My best advice is to seriously look at your diet.  This is not a popular with people in our condition as we want to take a pill and feel better in a few moments.  You did not get in this situation overnight and you wont get out of it overnight either.

Cut out ALL SUGAR, COFFEE and refined flour.  This means all white bread, pop, candy, etc.  Give it a few weeks and see if you dont feel better.. I BET YOU WILL!

ALso research something called "Apple Cider Vinegar"  This stuff is NASTY but has really helped me with my energy and bowel function.  THere are other alternatives out there.  Until you find a cure I dont think there is anything wrong with taking opiates for the right reason.  Just be careful...pain mgmt can turn into an addiction quickly.

Hope this helps.
WESTERN MEDICINE DOES NOT HAVE CURE FOR MOST DISEASES INCLUDING FIBROMYALGIA,BY TAKING THESE MEDICINES YOU PEOPLE ARE MAKING YOUR PROBLEMS WORSE VERY DAY NOT CURING IT(PAIN KILLERS MASK A DISEASE WHILE IT WORSENS SILENTLY).
SOME OF YOU HAVE WASTED A LOT OF TIME...YOU WILL KEEP WASTING TIME WITH WESTERN MEDICINE.

SOLUTION FOR YOU:

FIRST :

GO FOR " AYURVEDA" AND A SPECIAL PART OF AYURVEDA CALLED "PANCHAKARMA" SEARCH FOR THESE TERMS ON GOOGLE.
PANCHAKARMA WILL REMOVE TOXINS FROM YOUR BODY(YOU PEOPLE HAVENT REMOVED OLD TOXINS IN YOUR BODY AND ADDING FURTHER MORE BY TAKING ALLOPATHIC MEDICINES..U R GOING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION).
AFTER THIS TAKE REGULAR DOSE OF AYURVEDIC MEDICINES ,YOU SHOULD BE CURED IN 3-4 MONTHS.

SECOND :

GO FOR HOMEOPATHY....FIND OUT A GOOD DOCTOR THTS VERY IMP.
TREATMENT CAN TAKE ABOUT7-8 MONTHS.

BUT YOU'LL BE CURED.

THIRD :

ACUPUNCTURE.

WILL TAKE ABOUT 4-5 MONTHS.

BEST SOLUTION...GO FOR AYURVEDA.
ALONG WITH THESE I SUGGEST YOU ALL TO START PRACTICING "PRANAYAMA", ITS A PART OF YOGA NOT KNOWN IN WEST,IT CONSISTS OF POWERFUL SPECIALISED BREATHING TECHNIQUES(MOST DISEASES INCLUDING CANCER CAN BE CURED WITH THE HELP OF THIS) , ANYONE CAN DO THEM BUT PLEASE TAKE HELP OF A YOGA INSTRUCTOR FOR THIS, LEARN THEM THEN YOU DO NOT NEED ANYONE KEEP PRACTICING ,YOU WILL RISE ABOVE YOUR PAIN IN A FEW DAYS, AND FEEL REJUVINATED(KEEP PRACTISING ,TIME FOR CURE WILL DEPEND UPON INDIVIDUAL)

SUGGESTION FOR PRANAYAMA :

THERE ARE MANY TYPES OF PRANAYAMA , MOST HELPFUL TO YOU WOULD BE "ANULOM VILOM '' PRANAYAMA(SEARCH FOR IT ON GOOGLE TO KNOW MORE).

THIS TYPE ALONG WITH A MODIFIED VARIENT CALLED "NADI SHUDDHI" PRANAYAMA IS USED TO REMOVE TOXINS FROM BLOOD VESSELS AND BALANCE ALL FUNCTIONS IN A HUMAN BODY.

DO NOT DO "ANULOM VILOM" FOR MORE THAN 10 MINS AT A TIME,AFTER HALF AN HOUR YOU CAN DO FOR 10 MORE MINS,AND SO ON.

AFTER A FEW DAYS YOU CAN DO IT FOR 15 MINS....AFTER SOME TIME 20 AND 30 AND SO ON....DEPENDS UPON INDIVIDUAL,DO UNDER A YOGA TEACHERS GUIDANCE.

ALSO LEARN "BHASTRIKA"  AND " KAPAL BHATI".

ANOTHER IMPORTANT PRANAYAMA IS CALLED "UJJAYI" PRANAYAMA ...EXCELLENT FOR CURING THYROID ....AND FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE RESTLESS MINDS AND HAVE TROUBLE SLEEPING,THIS ALSO HEALS THE BODY QUICKLY AND RELAXES IT.

AGAIN I ADVISE YOU TO TAKE HELP FROM A YOGA INSTRUCTOR.

IF YOU ARE ABLE TO FIND A GOOD " YOGA ASHRAM" (PLACE WHERE YOU CAN PRACTICE YOGA AND AYURVEDA UNDER GUIDANCE ) IT WOULD BE GREAT,YOUR TROUBLES WOULD SOON BE OVER,TAKE BREAK FROM UR WORK AND STAY THERE FOR A MONTH OR TWO...

I HOPE THIS HELPS.....