Pain Management Community
alternative pain medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

alternative pain medication

i have been taking hydrocodone for about 3 years for chronic back pain due to an auto accident in 1995. first it was 550mg and then 750mg then went back down to 550mg, i want to stop taking them and want to know if there is an over the counter medicine or herbal item i can take to help alleviate the pain?
Tags: Back pain
The National Pain Foundation endorses a comprehensive list of nontraditional remedies, below. See which ones work for you:

Acupuncture.
This ancient Chinese practice involves inserting long, thin needles into various points on the body. The idea behind this is that optimal health is achieved when energy flows freely through
the body, and the needles remove any blockages of this energy.
Acupuncture has been used successfully to alleviate pain from musculoskeletal issues as well as headaches.
Massage.
Not just a perk for wealthy spa-goers, massage has in recent years come to be recognized as important to overall health.
It reduces muscle tension and stress, can relieve soreness, and may
even boost your immune system.
Biofeedback.
This teaches you to focus on your body's response to pain and stress via a monitoring system that gives off sounds or visual cues whenever your muscles tense.
Eventually you become able to use nothing more t
han conscious thought to change your physiological response to a particular type of stress on your body.
Hypnosis.
Popular as a cure for smoking as well as overeating, hypnosis can also be used to manage pain.
A trained clinician induces an altered state of consciousness, making you more receptive to suggestions of behavioral changes that can reduce your pain.
For instance, if you suffer from chronic lower back pain,
under hypnosis you might be taught to visualize your back muscles opening up. Some people can even learn to hypnotize themselves.
Guided imagery.
This involves imagining yourself in a peaceful setting.
The more detailed the scene, the more your mind can truly transport you out of your discomfort and into the soothing scene.
Are there any questionable pain-relief remedies?
Yes. Think twice before relying on herbs.
Health-food stores are full of herbal supplements purported to reduce pain, but be careful.
The FDA does not regulate these supplements, and some of them have negative side effects, particularly when combined with over-the-counter pain medications.
Hi Ramblinrose,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you have found us.

I think the dosages you give is the amount of acetaminophen (tylenol) prescribed with the hydrocodone. Hydrocodone comes in 5, 7.5 and 10 mg tablets that includes acetaminophen. So the prescription will read 5/750 apap. That is 5mg of hydrocodone and 750 mg of (apap) acetaminophen.

Sandee has provided you with some good information from the National Pain Foundation. I also suggest that you discuss this with your prescribing physician. He/she may have some thoughts as to the best approach for you. I saw an acupuncturist for awhile who sold me a supply of herbal products that were to help reduce my pain. She was very insistant that I take them. Instead I took the two bottles of supplements to my PCP and she promptly threw them in her disposal. She even offered to reimbursh me for the cost of the herbs. So please speak with your PCP before you take any supplement.  

Your PCP may be able to prescribe some PT and other treatments for your pain and than reduce your narcotic usage. Or you may be like many of us that require narcotics to make it through our painful days and nights. But only you and your PCP can determine the best course of action for you.

I hope you'll keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your updates.

Good luck and take care,
Tuck