amitriptyline
My mom had shingles five years ago and was left with nerve damage and pain....The doctor prescribed amitriptyline about two weeks ago...She has had no relief from the pain and cannot stay awake, has dry mouth and her vision is blurry.  Can she stop taking the medication cold turkey (since she has only been on it for two weeks) and how long does it usually take to get any pain relief from this medication.
Hi Renee,

Stopping ANY medication can be harmful to different people. She needs to check with her prescribing physician for instructions. That is the safest way to know for sure. There are no doctors here and I think it would be dangerous to take an opinion. Get the facts. I hope she is feeling better soon.
I was prescribed amitriptyline several years ago for TMJ; my doctor explained that it is an anti-depressant which was thought to help with muscle relaxation and sleep. He never stated that it was for pain relief, and actually prescribed me a different medication for the pain. I also have a friend that was prescribed amitriptyline for insomnia.

I would check with a doctor before stopping any medication, but I stopped taking it after about 10 days because it made me incredibly sleepy and I didn't notice any change in my symptoms; I didn't have any adverse effects from stopping...but again, check with your doctor.

I hope your mom feels better soon.
Hi, if I were you I would look up amitriptyline not sure it is for pain
Neurontin might help the nerve pain.
Also if it is in a small area or two, Lidoderm patch was made to help with shingles pain.  A doctor invented it for his wife who had shingles pain
I hope you can find something to help your Mom