arthrotec for pain
For the past five years I have worked on my feet for most of the day and since then have always experienced a lot of pain in my legs and wrist. A friend of mind suggested that I use arthrotec for the pain as it has helped her.
I am 32 years old and am on a birth control pill.
Any thoughts on the safety of this idea?
Hello and Welcome to our Pain Management Community.

I haven't taken Arthrotec.  Arthrotec is a combination of diclofenac and misoprostol. Diclofenac is a NSAID (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory Drug) it works much like Ibuprofen or Aleve.  Misoprostol is a synthetic (man-made) substance that stimulates secretion of mucus in the GI tract. Mucus helps protects the lining of the stomach. It's suppose to help reduce ulcers sometimes caused by a NSAID.

I've not seen literature that says Arthotec is contraindicated in ppl that take birth control medications. However I am far from an expert. You best information will come from the experts in medications and their interactions, Pharmacists. One of the best things about consulting your Pharmacist - it's free.

From a trusted Wedsite: Be aware that "this drug can cause a miscarriage with potentially dangerous bleeding, sometimes leading to hospitalization, surgery, infertility, and even death. Arthrotec can also deform or kill the developing baby." You are going to want to consider this potential side effect seriously.

Talk to your PCP - or OB/GYN and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this medication. There are also other options in NSAIDs if this is not the drug for you.

Please keep us posted. No one should have to suffer chronic discomfort.

Take Care,
~Tuck

Zandolee, I'll add my 2cents.

Every medication we take can hurt us, so we must always be smart about using them.

Always take NSAIDs with food, as they can break down the sensitive stomach and esophogeal lining. Also, don't mix NSAIDs. Read the bottle for more information.

Tylenol is not an NSAID, but is also effective for pain -- keep your dose below 3g (3,000mg) per day to protect your liver.

You can take Tylenol and an NSAID like aspirin together when you need an extra pain relief boost.

Old fashioned remedies are also a good idea. Putting your feet up might help, and so can a hot bath. Swimming is probably the best exercise for clearing your legs of lactic acid -- the substance that causes this kind of pain from muscle overuse.

best wishes.