broken arm post healing paain
about 2 yrs ago my upper arm had a  simple fracture and i am still having pain,why
Hi Warlou,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear that you are still having pain, two years after the fracture (break). Boy you've asked the 65,000 Dollar Question!

Sometimes there are never any good reasons as to why we have pain after a part is healed. I'm guessing that you may have some arthritis that set in after the fracture.... providing it healed correctly.

Sometimes the fracture injures the surrounding soft tissues and strain ligaments and tendons and we are left with pain..... especially as we get older. Those young-ens heal so much quicker and seem to experience less trauma with an injury.  

How extreme is your pain? Does it interfere with you daily functioning or interupt your sleep? Are you taking a physician's ordered non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs)?

Have you discussed this pain with your physician? Does he/she have any answers? Please let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to hearing from you.

My Best,
~Tuck
Bone pain is one of the most difficult types of pain to treat and as you already know, it can last a very long time.  My husband also has the same problem with a broken arm and continuing pain and "zings."  His doctor says it's just what happens and it's not going to stop any time soon - if ever.  

In my case, I've had two bone grafts taken from my pelvis for neck fusion surgeries - one in the front and one in the back.  There's no problem with the front site but the backside still occasionally screams at me - usually with weather changes or if I happen to sit just wrong.  That particular surgery was some 18 years ago and it took several years before I stopped noticing discomfort at that site on a daily basis.  Literally a pain in the ***!
My husband was in an accident and his left arm was broken. His first surgery did not heal at all, so 6 months later they done another surgery on it. It is healing just fine and he is able to work now. The doctor quit prescribing him the pain medication and gave him an anti-inflammatory medication. He too also gets continuing pain and zings. Every day it is so uncomfortable for him to do regular activities. He knows it will never be the same, however it's almost been 7 months since his last surgery, and the pain is still there at least twice a day. Nights are especially rough. He is a hard working husband and father. Very motivated to continue improving everything in his life. The sad thing is, I still think that he needs prescription meds for the times when he hurts the most. He is wondering what the next step is. Do you or anyone else know if he should be referred to a chronic pain clinic? Would our family physician be able to prescribe medication to him on a regular basis if needed. He is needing some advice, and we don't know where to begin searching. Got any advice?