Pain Management Community
bulging disk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

bulging disk

i recently we to the er about a pain in my lower back they told me it may be a bulging disk. i deliver flowers and am on my feet 90% of the day when should i go back to work or do i ned to wait till i go to the doctor and have an mri to findout if that is what it is?
I think you can go back to work when you feel up to it.  However, if the doctor in the ER suspected that your pain could be caused by a bulging disc, it is probably a good idea to go in and have an MRI done of your lumbar spine to determine if that is truly the case, as if your pain is caused by a bulging disc, it 95% won't go away on its own and will require treatment (either surgically or non-surgically).  There are some that have bulging discs that will slide back into place over time but this is not typical.  Additionally, there are many with bulging and/or ruptured discs that cause no pain as sometimes degenerative disc disease progresses without any symptoms, and others times, with symptoms, meaning you could have a bulging disc that may not be the cause of your pain.  Only way to find out, is to start treatments after your MRI findings come in.  Depending on what works and what doesn't work, you and your doctor can begin to narrow in on a more definitive and accurate diagnosis.

There is also a chance that your pain is rather caused by a sprain in one of your ligaments or muscle tissue that will heal on its own.  If this is the case, bedrest longer than 24 hours can weaken the muscle in your back and delay healing.  Alternate between applying heat then ice in these scenarios every 2 hours until pain decreases.  Also taking an anti-inflammatory will help too.  

There are also other things spine related that could be causing your pain such as spinal stenosis, ruptured disc, or annular tear to name a few.  Your MRI will shed light on which of these you have or don't have.  I hope you feel better soon and/or find some answers to what is causing your pain so you can get the right treatments.

femmy