chest pain when exhaling
I was awaken 3 night ago hurting in the middle of my chest ( almost like someone was ripping it apart), when I stood up it went away, but as soon as I layed back down it started again. Now i still hurt when I exhale but it not only hurts at the middle of my chest it feels like someone is stapping me in the ribs. Any ideas on what this could be?
Hi!
Any ripping chest pain in the middle of chest should be first investigated for a heart cause by a 12 lead ECG.
The symptoms could also be due to severe acidity and acid reflux. The treatment usually involves taking a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning. Along with it you can try over the counter antacids. However I would recommend you see a doctor and take medication under a doctor’s supervision. Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Take a late night snack and eat supper early. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after main food, dinner or supper. Take care!
You may also have costochondritis or inflammation of the at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. Do discuss with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!