Pain Management Community
chronic intractable pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

chronic intractable pain

32 yeas ago I was pushed out a third story window. I landed on my right leg, shattering the right femur, then shattering my left wrist. I was under the care of a pain management physician from May 2003 until September 2006 when I lost my job, became homeless, lived on the streets of Houston, TX and had no medical care whatsoever. In August 2007, I suffered a major heart attack and have since had three more major heart attacks. I'm just wondering, since I used to be on Fentnyl patches (75 micrograms per hour). Is there anyway I can survive having these patches again? The pain is so excrutiating that I am considering not taking my heart medication and letting my body die! I cannot bear the pain anymore, X-Rays have shown no problem, however they haven't been read by an orthopedic surgeon since 1997 when I was told that my right hip was deterioring, but it wasn't bad enough to do anything with it at the time. The pain in my right hip is so bad I want to quit. Now get this, the day I was realeased from the hospital following my third heart attack, I was walking to the store and, while crossing a street, I was struck by an automobile. Now my left hip hurts really bad. I'm just wondering if anything can be done about the pain I'm feeling. I did not go to the hospital when I got hit by the car, I was so pissed cause I just got out of the hospital for the heart attack. I'm really upset and cannot guess why I'm in so much pain
Hello Jim,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. Wow, I am so sorry for all the pain you are suffering. If you wrote a book on the events you described no one would believe it. I am sorry this has happened to you.

Fentanyl should not have an ill effect on your cardiac issues however I am not a cardiologist. You most certainly need to have your chronic pain treated but just as importantly you should have a good work up to determine the cause of your chronic pain. I suggest that you make an appointment with a good PCP and have a thorough medical work up. There are things that can be done to treat your pain once they diagnosis the underlying condition(s).

Good luck to you. I hope you are doing much better overall. Please keep us informed and let us know how you are doing. Take Care, Tuck
Tuck,
Thanks for your reply, sorry I haven't written sooner but I suffered another heart attack on the 31st and just got out of the hospital. You're right about people perhaps not believing what all has happened to me, unfortunately my medical records do show that I have had 3 surgeries to repair the damage to my femur, 2 surgeries to repair my left wrist (it was shattered in the same fall as my femur and is now fused) 5 abdominal surgeries (3 partial gastrectomies, gall bladder and an intussuception). I've also had surgeries when I was a child to correct a cleft pallete. Gee whiz, does it ever end? At least I have medication for right now.
Hi Jim,

I am so sorry to hear you had another heart attack. You have enough issues without adding to them.

I am hoping you have found a physician that is willing to continue to treat your chronic. I was negligent in telling you that there is public insurance in many states and I would assume that you would certainly qualify for it. Often your states social services can assist you with applying for the insurance if you have not already obtained it.

Again I am so sorry to hear of your heart issues. I am glad you updated us and I will continue to look forward to your additional updates. Stay well and good luck.
Peace, Tuck