Pain Management Community
chronic pain in both arms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

chronic pain in both arms

I have had chronic pain in both of my for at least the last 6 months, it has been progressively getting worse. I am waking up several times during the night in excrutiating pain and I am unable to lift my arms or change their positio. I have taken  an Ibprofen regiment for 6-weeks that did not work and am now taking naproxen for the last month with no results. In the morning I can hardly move my arms at all. I feel that this pain is getting worse daily and I want to know exactly what it is and what I can do about it. I have been to the doctor who tells me it is tendinitis in my shoulders and I have had blood work done that came back normal. Please if anyone is or has experienced anything like this please  please advise.
I would request a referral to see a Neurologist.  

Your PCP/Family Physician has not addressed your pain issues?  
I agree with Londres.  I would also ask for an MRI of the neck and shoulders.  I have tendonitis in one shoulder, I don't think it causes a majority of my arm pain, though.  (I also have bursitis and arthritis there, too.)  There are nerves leading from the cervical spine (neck) that control arm movement and feeling.  I would look into that.
Hi Lovi,

I am so sorry that you are experiencing pain that is disrupting your daily life. We can relate.

I hate to question your diagnosis. I am not a physician and have no expertise. That said, it is rare for tendonitis to occur bilaterally. A tendon connects muscle to bone. Obviously that means that you that each muscle and bone has it's own tendon. In order for this to be tendonitis it would mean that the individual tendon on each side has been effected. Now that's not impossible but it is not usual.

I agree that I would lean more towards a spinal issues causing your bilateral symptoms. An MRI can rule this in or out. The "blood work" was probably to look for an inflamatory condition as the cause of your pain.It only provides clues into your diagnose.

I also agree that a second opinion is your best option.Pain that has been continuous for months need a better evaluation. Obviously you are not responding to NSAID treatment alone. A good physician will be considered with your level and duration of pain.

Long term NSAID treatment can raise havoc with our gastrointestinal track. Be cautious and watch for signs of GI Distress. Make sure you are taking the NSAIDs with food. Follow the label directions.

If I had your symptoms I think I would feel, enough is enough. It's time to get some definitive answers and more effective treatments. If you haven't been back to your PCP since the initial exam I would consider returning to them. Is he/she aware of your continued pain? If they are not aware than obviously they cannot treat. If you have been back and are obtaining no further testing or answers I would seek out another PCP.

These are just my thoughts. Chronic pain is difficult to live with when it is properly treated. Your pain is not even being adequately managed. So please be assertive. Insist upon action and treatment. Please don't suffer unnecessarily.

I wish you the very best and hope that you will keep us informed of your progress. Feel free to ask additional questions. We will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck