Pain Management Community
complications of wrist fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

complications of wrist fracture

Fractured my radius in December. Wore a cast for 5 weeks. Radius healed and I went through occupational therapy. Still have lots of pain in my wrist and hand with numbness and tingling of all my fingers.  Had EMG which was negative for carpal tunnel. Have had several cortisone shots, none of which offered any relief. Swelling has pretty much dissipated but pain and numbness and tingling still persists. Had an MRI last week and was told I had a bone fragment from the ulnar bone, cartilage injury and marrow edema. My orthopedic surgeon suggested another course of occupationa therapy. If that doesn't work, he would suggest surgery. I type for a living and it makes it very difficult for me to work - after typing for 10 minutes, I get pain down my fingers on the top of my hand to my wrist.  I also have popping when I try to flex and extend my wrist. Any thoughts?  If I don't have the bone fragment removed, what happens to it?  Thanks for your help.
Hi Scrabble,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry about the pain and complications that you are experiencing fracture. I also apologize for my tardy response. My father is terminally ill and I am caring for him therefore I can not always be here as often as I would like to be....but back to your fracture (FX).

Certainly I am not an expert but from my experience if you do not have the bone fragment removed it could continue to cause pain issues. Sometimes bone fragments are not an issue, they are in a location that does not cause any issues. Other times, possible yours they become annoying and painful and can cause chronic discomfort, swelling and pain. On occasion they can move.

I know it seems it has been a long time and your FX should have healed along with all the associated damage but some FX's take longer and are more complicated than others. I had a "simple" carpel tunnel surgery and it took almost a year before my hand and wrist returned to normal. My position also required a lot of computer time and it was painful and aggravating.

Following your next treatments of OT if you continue to have pain and popping what choice to you have but to have this repaired? Sometimes an oral dose of steroids can calm the inflammation and associated pain. Your physician knows what's best in your situation. Are you wearing a wrist support? I know they can be annoying but they can also promote healing and calm inflamed tissues.

If you are not satisfied with your physicians approach yu can always seek a second opinion. It can't hurt. I wish you the best of luck and lots of quick healing. Please let us know how you are progressing. Take Care, Tuck