Pain Management Community
could tylenol PM be false positive for methadone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

tested positive for methadone at the pain doc today. Ofcourse i denied it due to the fact that , honestly, i wouldnt even know where to get it, let alone TAKE it.. currently on 4 diabetes meds, oxycontin,neurontin, BP  and cholesterol meds . all of which they know about and have documented. After i tested positive i was in shock and was looked at as scum9 even though i've been there for 3 years with NO PRIOR PROBLEMS. I seriously have no idea what happened. she stated that they were going to send it to the lab to get further checked out. In the mean time she gave me the usual meds for 10 days as opposed to the usual 30 days. Is it possible that tylenol pm could be the culprit? will the lab be able to identify that i actually NEVER TOOK METHADONE? Now when it comes back negative i'll have to pay 2 co-pays instead of one. anyway of getting that 2nd co-pay re couped?....this is rediculous
Since your test was sent off too the lab. they will be able to confirm either a neg. or postive for this med. They are very percise, that is why it was sent off for further testing. I know someone who recently tested pos. for methadone also, it was sent off too the lab, same situation has you minus the tylenol, when it came back it was neg. I know how expensive these test are. All patients at the office I was going too had to have their test results sent to lab. on a monthly basis. Not until peoples ins. refused to pay for these did that stop. No need for them unless your tox screen comes up positive for something that you are not suppose to have in your system. This test will show up everything in your system including the amounts taken. I don't know anything about tylenol pm showing up a positive for methadone but if you didn't take any then nothing to worrry about, test will show up neg.
The in house tests that only use a dip stick are highly fallible so it's good they are sending it out. If it is to a lab that uses gas chromatography mass spectrometry then it will be able to see all substances and be able to determine that there isn't any Methadone. I have never heard of Tylenol PM metabolizing as this either.

As mentioned, sending it out to the lab is good for you as it should prove that you only took what you were supposed to with your OxyContin and other meds.

I am urine tested once a year and my PM only sends to a lab that does the GC/MS as it is 99.9% accurate.

Let us know how it goes..

I do know that it's a completely seperate test they have to perform to detect methadone, which makes it even more unlikely that the sample didn't have methadone in it. There is always the possibility that the names on the samples got screwed up somehow, or some other human error.